When to bring in trees?

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Going to be keeping my Cottoneaster and Azalea in an unheated enclosed back porch, which gets some sun. When should I bring them in? Also since I've never had outdoor trees that I was "wintering", what is recommended as far as watering goes?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know what your zone is, so can't tell you specifically about your area. But I'd move them in when the nighttime temps get in the 40's or less. If you are in a very cold zone, and depending on what type of Azalea you have, it may need better protection against the season than that. I'd make sure that I kept them against the house wall side of the porch in any event. Watering is the same as any other time of year, only when it's nearing dry. It'll take a lot longer to dry out in the cold weather, you may only need to water every week or less. Do not water them if the rootball is frozen.
good luck!

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Judy..The Azalea and Cottoneaster are both cold hardy varieties sold at Lowes around here as outdoor inground plants. Just not sure if they will be as hardy in bonsai soil in a box. Just checked, I'm in zone 5b.

xghostx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Black Friday is the day I do it each year. Good excuse to not have to go shopping and work of thanxgiving dinner.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just not sure if they will be as hardy in bonsai soil in a box. Just checked, I'm in zone 5b.
You can generally speaking knock off 1 to two zones of hardiness for trees in pots. There are of course exceptions to the rule. 5B, you should be fine on your porch. You should update your profile to show your zone, most questions concerning bonsai make use of that information to give good answers.

Top Bottom