When to bring trees inside?

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
when i should start bringing my tropical trees inside? The temperature is around 60-70 degrees at night. i have a few ficus, fukien teas, and Hawaiian umbrellas. i live in long island NY.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
We got 48 degrees F the other night. Shuts still outside. Trops are pretty tough as long as its not too close to freezing. Well ficus anyways. Going to be doing the shuffle soon tho

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
I'm more worried about my Fukien tea. I know they can be abit picky with temperature. This is one of my favorite tree and I don't wanna kill it due to temperature

Attachments

• IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 23

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Nice tree. Ive already killed 3 teas. No more trops for me. I can wait til these ficus kick the bucket. The old lady keeps trying to take cuttings tho. Booooo

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
when i should start bringing my tropical trees inside? The temperature is around 60-70 degrees at night. i have a few ficus, fukien teas, and Hawaiian umbrellas. i live in long island NY.

They are fine. My trops are all still outside and I wont even think about bringing them in at night until night temps drop below 50. Then they will go right back out in the morning. Ill keep doing that until the morning temps dont let me do it then they will go to their winter quarters under lights in the basement.

I have ficus and Brazilian Rain trees

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our weather has been wet and cold enough to have me thinking about bringing them in already.

I'm a one move at 50f guy...
Especially Fukien..

If you're going to take it back and forth you might as well kill it now!

Sorce

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Going below 10c at night with me so the tiger is now inside. Not shuffling either. Been in a week now and looking better for it.. Heat on the sil in the day giving a growth spurt?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any tropical under a year with us comes in at 45F the first year - after the first year they stay out until they see a few nights of 35 - 40F and pout a bit. Not an expert on any of them but over the years I find they do better with a short down time. Hell on Ficus here Crystal has 20 years now and she gave me the Desert Rose that is 16 now...

I do transition them to the plant room so I would not recommend letting them get that cold and immediately putting them in a far warmer area with intense light. Most I know just wait until a night of 45F.

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think I did leave them out a bit longer last year, but definitely brought them in before it hit 40 deg. They did fine. None of them shed thier leaves last year after bringing them in. I've had both ficus and BRT freak out and do that after coming inside permanently for the winter.

The guy I bought my nicest BRT from told me never to leave them out below 40

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think I did leave them out a bit longer last year, but definitely brought them in before it hit 40 deg. They did fine. None of them shed thier leaves last year after bringing them in. I've had both ficus and BRT freak out and do that after coming inside permanently for the winter.

The guy I bought my nicest BRT from told me never to leave them out below 40

I believe it has a lot to do with other factors too. For instance I am certain the average humidity here is lower and there is far less wind. I almost always use black or very dark pots as well - they often steam off when I water during grow time, warmer substrate...

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe it has a lot to do with other factors too. For instance I am certain the average humidity here is lower and there is far less wind. I almost always use black or very dark pots as well - they often steam off when I water during grow time, warmer substrate...

Grimmy

Possible.

Being near the ocean here, we always have a strong southwest breeze in the afternoon during the summer. You can almost set your watch to it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've my bougainvillea inside...my night temps at the lake have hit mid 40's...I've the grow cart. So just keeping it indoors for now. I am afraid I may forget it out there one night...along with my rabbit foots fern. I live in a microclimate though.

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Favored tropicals come in at 40F. Less favored tropicals have a tendency to get "forgotten" outside. ;)

RIP variegated Ficus Benjamin

Top Bottom