When to carve apple?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I have one hell of a ugly apple stump that needs some carving this year, dead and live wood. When is the best time for this? I'm assuming its once its woken up but before it leafs out?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm no apple expert but if it were mine it would depend on how vigorous the tree is,dead wood I wouldn't be to concerned with time,but live wood I would do it in spring when buds are pushing n the tree is full of energy,I would not repot n do heavy branch pruning at the same time,I would do the repot the following spring and I wouldn't go all out chain saw massacre the first time carving if the tree was one of my better trees,but that's just me,others may have a different view.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thanks.
Most of the carving will be on dead wood but some live will need to come off to make a chanel for water to drain. It won't be extreme or deep, at least not for now.
I repotted last year, did quite a lot of root work at the same time so this year is just gets to grow.
It was a freebie so no loss if I screw up but it is my favorite.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Apple is odd in that it scars heavily if cut while growing vigorously, and does not heal well if cut in dormancy. In my climate, I try to balance this by pruning at the end of strong growth, at the end of summer. Here this is mid September, then slower fall growth lasts until mid October. I'm sure your climate does not afford this 2nd or 3rd growth period.

Maybe, try cutting in a slow growth period, and then scarring during an active growth period. I would heavily advise consulting someone familiar with your growing conditions, as they are vastlyt differently than mine..

themug

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Generally speaking the best time to prune fruit trees, at least in northern climates, is late winter/early spring, which would be now. There are lots of orchards around where I live in Vermont and most of them do that kind of work in February and March.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have one hell of a ugly apple stump that needs some carving this year, dead and live wood. When is the best time for this? I'm assuming its once its woken up but before it leafs out?

Dead wood, anytime. With the up and down weather we have been having here Fruit trees here I trimmed live wood a few weeks ago when it was cold. A few days later it suddenly went to 72F and I had to use a fair amount of sealant to stop the leakage which was quite a bit. Tough call without being there honest but that information should help you decide. Funny it was in the 60'sF a few days ago and again today everything is frozen with what they are now saying is 18 -24 inches of snow starting around midnight :confused:

Grimmy

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Dead wood, anytime. With the up and down weather we have been having here Fruit trees here I trimmed live wood a few weeks ago when it was cold. A few days later it suddenly went to 72F and I had to use a fair amount of sealant to stop the leakage which was quite a bit. Tough call without being there honest but that information should help you decide. Funny it was in the 60'sF a few days ago and again today everything is frozen with what they are now saying is 18 -24 inches of snow starting around midnight :confused:

Sounds like your winter has been as fun as ours. Its not been near that warm here yet, mid 40's top but at least its not freezing as much at night.

I think I'll start carving as soon as my wound sealant get here. Cross your fingers I don't make too big of a mess, it will be my first carving.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think I'll start carving as soon as my wound sealant get here. Cross your fingers I don't make too big of a mess, it will be my first carving.

Take your time and do it in a few sittings. Reason I say that is I found myself taking off more and doing more then I should have the first few times - can't grow back deadwood :oops:

Grimmy

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I did a little work on my apple today. I didn't have the balls to do a deep hollow like I planned and in the end, I don't really need it as its the back of the tree. I was pleasantly surprised to find only the surface wood soft & rotten. All the dead wood underneath was very hard. I've ordered a wood preservative, will apply it as soon as it arrives. I did cover wounds on the live wood.

A before picture, you can see the ugly dead which I'm sure is a failed graft. This was taken last summer, I removed the tall bit right after.
2mwbghu.jpg

After cutting away some dead, before using the dremel
dbtytc.jpg

the sharp edge
t8x5c2.jpg

after dremel. This was the final product.
281696w.jpg

probably needed to remove more of the edge but chickened out.
30mbu5h.jpg

Top Bottom