When to chop Chinese Elms in Cali

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I can't seem to find a solid answer for when is a good time to trunk chop in Northern California zone10a. From what I've read, it is best to trunk chop right before trees wake up in the spring, however I don't think this chinese elm is ever going into dormancy as it still has all of its leaves and even some new ones. Almost all my other deciduous trees have lost all of their leaves or are about to.

I've heard some people say you can do "whatever whenever" in California because it never gets cold enough for roots to freeze. If anyone with experience from here can comment on some good times to heavy prune/trunk chop in Cali would be much appreciated!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Smoke had some reasonings that were on point for making heavy cuts there, though I forget how it went, it's here somewhere if you can find it.
I believe it was something like, "don't cut during growth because the regrowth is too fast and can ruin the design".

I think if you need to pop buds where there aren't any, it's still better to chop during growth.

Sorce

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
@Smoke had some reasonings that were on point for making heavy cuts there, though I forget how it went, it's here somewhere if you can find it.
I believe it was something like, "don't cut during growth because the regrowth is too fast and can ruin the design".

I think if you need to pop buds where there aren't any, it's still better to chop during growth.

Sorce
I'm basically chopping everything off for a fresh start to make a broom. Current branching is no bueno.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm basically chopping everything off for a fresh start to make a broom. Current branching is no bueno.

If looking for those buds around the new ring, I'd do it between a week into spring and well before your heatwave hits. Or a week after the heatwave well before "Califall".

Maybe check with Boon for the most appropriate timing, I reckon they probably start these traditional brooms some up there.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Best time to prune Chinese elm is when you have the tools and some time.
In other words it does not matter when you cut. The tree will bud back whenever the next growing time occurs. I guess the only real reason for spring chop is that regrowth will be soon after.

Down here where Chinese elm never really goes dormant that it can be repotted, root pruned, trimmed and chopped any time of year.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Best time to prune Chinese elm is when you have the tools and some time.
In other words it does not matter when you cut. The tree will bud back whenever the next growing time occurs. I guess the only real reason for spring chop is that regrowth will be soon after.

Down here where Chinese elm never really goes dormant that it can be repotted, root pruned, trimmed and chopped any time of year.
That's what I was curious of. I really don't think this chinese elm is going dormant.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Chinese elm can be evergreen in warmer climates. I'm in a cooler part of Aus but even here they sometimes do not drop leaves. They also start to bud and grow from mid winter here. In warmer parts they grow all year round.

Give yours some time through what passes for winter there and see if it decides to drop leaves or not. If it just keeps growing revert to the advice above - any time of year but I guess working in milder months would be sensible.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
time of year

Is there a time where they are more prone to bud around the ring?

I've only had it happen once.

She been bringing random stuff home from work, got a box of hose clamps the other day.🤔

Sorce

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
We have three huge Chinese elm trees in our landscape that go bare every winter. They haven't begun to loose their leaves yet. They're late this year.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Is there a time where they are more prone to bud around the ring?
Not really sure @sorce because I've usually stuck with traditional late winter/spring chops so I don't have first hand knowledge of alternative timing.
My best guess is that Chinese elms are keen to survive so they will bud whenever you chop. Whether there is the same number of buds or placement is a different thing.

Time for either some feedback from some people who have tried or for some trials.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
My Chinese elm is sweating right now. It knows a chop is coming 😂

Attachments

• E8AA301F-60D6-4D01-BAA5-CB4DBA8B65A4.jpeg
    E8AA301F-60D6-4D01-BAA5-CB4DBA8B65A4.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 61

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why would you chop that? If you are in an apartment, which seems to because of the picture, take it out of that pot and move it into a growbag. Since you want a broom you can wire all those branches with some movement and let them grow, you can cut it hard later and it will back bud. I would also plant it on top of a tile...

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Why would you chop that? If you are in an apartment, which seems to because of the picture, take it out of that pot and move it into a growbag. Since you want a broom you can wire all those branches with some movement and let them grow, you can cut it hard later and it will back bud. I would also plant it on top of a tile...

Reason I'm leaning towards a chop the trunk is dead in the front all the way down to that first branch in the middle. Other issue I'm not sure how to deal with is, is that all the current secondary branches have been repeatedly pruned so the ends are very small and many of them growing at 90 degree angles in the wrong direction.

Figured a clean chop would allow me to start growing 2-3 much larger secondary branches and bend them in the direction I want right from the start. I'd also get rid of that dead side/ have a flat cut instead of a sloped cut.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The branches are alive, let them grow and carve the dead area later.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can't seem to find a solid answer for when is a good time to trunk chop in Northern California zone10a. From what I've read, it is best to trunk chop right before trees wake up in the spring, however I don't think this chinese elm is ever going into dormancy as it still has all of its leaves and even some new ones. Almost all my other deciduous trees have lost all of their leaves or are about to.

I've heard some people say you can do "whatever whenever" in California because it never gets cold enough for roots to freeze. If anyone with experience from here can comment on some good times to heavy prune/trunk chop in Cali would be much appreciated!
Evergreen gardenworks is located in California, their website has a lot of great information on growing bonsai. This article describes "When to make trunk cuts":

Good luck!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think I'd try chopping that either, at least not now in attempt to get a good ring of new buds.
It seems too actively nodey below to comply.

I feel like it is also already too short to go any farther and still have a long enough trunk for correct proportions of a broom broom.

I'd probably opt for removing all but the lowest 2 branches, letting them grow for a season or 2, them cutting back to them for a different form.

Sorce

Top Bottom