When to collect young English oaks?

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Next to where I live is a piece of land that recently changed owners. The new owners want to clean it up completely before building a house on it. On taht piece of land is a 100+ year old English oak. They're going to cut it down. There are also a bunch of young oaks on it, probably 3-4 years old. I found 2 that seem to have some potential. Now because I've been enjoying the big oak for as long as I've lived here I want to save some of it (sentimental stuff). So is it possible to dig out the 2 little oaks with potential and put them in a 5 gallon container this time of year? Their leaves recently styarted to change color so I'm guessing their sap flow is still pretty active now...

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have no experience with fall collection of oaks, but spring worked best for me compared to summer.
I'll need 2 years to reduce the tap root as well.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What do you guys use as as soil for these collected youngsters? I have some bags with akadam/pumice mix. Or should I add some organics as well?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had some quercus rober (robur) that I have since sold, but .. I always did my root work in the fall, around october 30th and never lost a tree. They were all pretty young, maybe around 4/5 years. If they were older/nicer I may have done it in spring but I first did fall root reductions out of need. I have read that fall is a great time to do it and since I had success I just kept doing it then. didn't lose a single tree. started with 13, sold 12 and hit one with the lawn mower. It's alive now but these things grow so slow I ignore it

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I use pine bark, peat (tuinturf) and inorganics at almost equal portions. It seems to work well.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok, change of plans. I came home today to find a bunch of excavators next to our house. I was able to dig up 1 little tree already and put it in some inorganic soil. Should I prune it already so next year it can make a fresh start or should I leave it like it is and pray for the best?

20181115_193508.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since tree is in energy positive mode(energy stored in roots)could trim back some but suggest not drastically in case of "shock" factor to tree;). Likely will survive unless majority of roots removed. Personally use about 60% pumice 1/8-1/4 inch size, 40% organic(sifted bark).

Reaction score
I used old soil, mix from aka, bins, lava, kiryu and a hand off new cutting soil. And i cut them back hard. For example #2 you don't need 3 tops/apax, select 1 and cut back the others.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice work on the Oaks. Keep on posting...progress appreciated.

Top Bottom