When to cut after air-layering JM

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi,

I did multiple air-layerings on this standard Japanese maple early July. Now they are full of roots. My question is do I cut the air-layered trunks off the trees now in early September or should I wait till we are way into the Fall season? By the way, I live in San Diego and we still have one more heat wave to go so technically summer still lingers. I feel like the air-layered roots are not getting enough water and they are starting to dry out.

thank you!

BA07812F-C8F3-4755-9C1F-97B87FDD3CB4.jpeg
ABD2FFD7-B686-4CB4-816F-961145E57006.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would take these off now. The roots will be far better off in a pot of soil. You are correct that they can dry out on the tree. The new roots are taking water and there's not much in the plastic bag. I have lost a few this way.
New roots an be brittle so be careful if you decide to remove the moss from the roots when you pot up. Some moss left in the roots probably won't hurt and can be removed next spring when the roots will be much better attached. Often I just pot up the whole ball intact. There's a small chance the moss will stay too wet but that beats breaking all the new roots off. Again, bare root and comb out the roots in spring.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would take these off now. The roots will be far better off in a pot of soil. You are correct that they can dry out on the tree. The new roots are taking water and there's not much in the plastic bag. I have lost a few this way.
New roots an be brittle so be careful if you decide to remove the moss from the roots when you pot up. Some moss left in the roots probably won't hurt and can be removed next spring when the roots will be much better attached. Often I just pot up the whole ball intact. There's a small chance the moss will stay too wet but that beats breaking all the new roots off. Again, bare root and comb out the roots in spring.
do this, then, of you indeed are in for a heatwave, consider placing the whole thing in a transparant bag for a week or two to reduce transpiration while the newroots take over primary water provision,

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
When you cut make sure you guy wire it to the container, especially if it's tall. It won't have any way of anchoring itself and rocking can break off those fine roots.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you, Shibui. All of this makes a lot of sense. I will go ahead and remove the air-layerings to pot them with intact sphagnum moss.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
one more heat wave to go

From the central valley, I appreciate your optimism!

I'd wait a week, however. This weekend is gonna suck, even for y'all lucky enough to be near the ocean. If you're packed with roots, you have plenty of time for the cuttings to establish at this time of year. I'll be removing air layers through the end of September.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Please share afterwards.
Here’s the update-
Cleaned my loppers with 70% ethanol, took the air-layerings down and carefully removed the plastic bag without disturbing the roots. @Shibui , you are correct. There were some browned up roots but overall the roots were good. I then trimmed the tops and removed some of the foliage to balance, one had all dried up leaves so I had to completely defoliate. I anchored all the trees with one wire. Then, I mixed pumice, spagnum pray moss and diatomaceous substrate. Put the pot in a shaded location. It’s a lot cooler now in Southern California.

Attachments

• 082807F2-8239-4FA9-BAA2-8FD28DDC4064.jpeg
    082807F2-8239-4FA9-BAA2-8FD28DDC4064.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 3762E2DE-9C95-493B-A4FE-5A32968FFDD0.jpeg
    3762E2DE-9C95-493B-A4FE-5A32968FFDD0.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 5B9ED464-2AA4-4BC6-A677-90012DBA0315.jpeg
    5B9ED464-2AA4-4BC6-A677-90012DBA0315.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 595D8B6A-B558-4F9C-8881-2993F6D39892.jpeg
    595D8B6A-B558-4F9C-8881-2993F6D39892.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 52

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congrats! More plants to water!

Were these mine..: I would in spring, around budbreak, to go back in a clean out the roots, spread them and get the sphagnum out. By then they should have turned woody but not be so stiff you cannot untangle them. Avoid trimming them when possible.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Congrats! More plants to water!

Were these mine..: I would in spring, around budbreak, to go back in a clean out the roots, spread them and get the sphagnum out. By then they should have turned woody but not be so stiff you cannot untangle them. Avoid trimming them when possible.
Thank you. Will certainly do.

Top Bottom