When to cut long internodes on vine types?

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Noted a Dennis Vojtilla advice for grapevines to be cut where long internodes are, and help force backbudding. Do I wait for them to harden off so I don't loose sap? Is it the same deal for VA creepers?

Attachments

• 20230510_171427.jpg
    20230510_171427.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230510_171456.jpg
    20230510_171456.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230510_171514.jpg
    20230510_171514.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 27

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Grapes will weep when pruned before buds open but I have not noticed that after leaves open.
I have not tried to limit internodes on grapes but have done so with maples. Pruning early usually results in more rampant growth with long internodes. I find it better to let the tree get that first burst of growth out of its system. Pruning after the first flush hardens seems to give much better results. Not sure if that will translate to grapes and other vines but maybe something to try.

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
thank you, shortly after posting this I realized that I might be messing up the "hormonal crosstalk" by pruning too early. I'll wait for stuff to harden off. Im guessing we want to stay away from high nitrogen as well?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Im guessing we want to stay away from high nitrogen as well?
Depends on your aim. To get trunk growth and thickening N is good. When you need to build ramification with shorter internodes lower N is helpful but lower N probably won't really promote more back buds.
For back budding specifically, good growth followed by hard pruning works best in my experience.

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Depends on your aim. To get trunk growth and thickening N is good. When you need to build ramification with shorter internodes lower N is helpful but lower N probably won't really promote more back buds.
For back budding specifically, good growth followed by hard pruning works best in my experience.
Taking it all into consideration. This has helped immensely with my decisions, thank you much for all your help .

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cut grapes in the dormant season, please.
Let them run to fuel trunk growth and possibly fruiting.
Then in either in late fall or early early spring, cut them back hard and cover the wounds.

I would do the same for any vine, because usually that's when the rotten summer branches drop off of trees and take down parts of said vine.

Sun exposure is a powerful back budding trigger in grapes.

Top Bottom