When to dig up a Japanese maple?

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My neighbour has a Jap. maple seedling about 3 feet high he’s said I can have. When is the best time to dig this up and replant it?8B1648B3-D2F4-4CFC-8504-BEF2B68D673E.jpeg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I didn’t think it was climate specific to be honest, as the buds swell is mostly golden rule.. I’d go further and say it’s the 3rd stage of development, the buds extending.

I need to repot my Acer P, I’ll be doing it as the buds enter 3rd stage of development, quite literally as they are about to burst open.. they will extend and colour change will happen.

link for greater info, highly recommend:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The rule of thumb for late season transplanting is that you can safely transplant trees, shrubs and perennials as long as you have a minimum of 6 weeks before the soil starts to freeze, as this will allow the plant to establish itself somewhat. When I lived in zone 6 MA, I was typically done with any transplanting by now.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks all,
I will wait until the spring. No hurry now.
I really appreciate the feedback.!

bonsai45

Sapling
Reaction score
@brainfree southern ontario?

you are likely close to vineland, and bill valavanis

I didn’t think it was climate specific to be honest, as the buds swell is mostly golden rule..

this is a maple planted in the ground

opinion is definitely divided 50/50 between spring and fall regarding the appropriate time to move a maple, with a considerable group freely moving them any time of the year with great success

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When I still lived and gardened in zone 4 northern Wyoming, I would routinely dig up and move many trees and shrubs as soon as the soil was thawed enough to do so. This was often in March/April, depending on if we had an early "spring thaw".

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We just had a very unusual early November snow storm. It's warmed up a bit and it looks like it'll stay above freezing for at least a couple weeks now. I'm tempted to dig it up now but I'm not in any hurry so I'll definitely wait until the spring. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions then!!
Bosai45 I am very close to Vineland. I've never heard of Bill Valavanis. I'll have to google him and see what he's all about. Thanks.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree you showed earlier is something where you do not have to worry at all. You can dig this with a 95% intact rootball. Bigger concerns happen whet you grow a big one, and need to trim 90% of the rootball.

Top Bottom