When to do bald cypress deadwood work

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a few bald cypress that were trunk chopped earlier this year and I would like to know when the best time would be to create the hollows and deadwood features on them?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I have a few bald cypress that were trunk chopped earlier this year and I would like to know when the best time would be to create the hollows and deadwood features on them?
Any carving on living wood should be done while the tree is actively growing. I'd wait until next growing season.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Any carving on living wood should be done while the tree is actively growing. I'd wait until next growing season.
I created a shari on one when I chopped it where I would like to create a hollow. Is this area safe to work over winter or better to hold off til growing regardless?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I created a shari on one when I chopped it where I would like to create a hollow. Is this area safe to work over winter or better to hold off til growing regardless?
You can work deadwood anytime. If you're turning livewood into deadwood, the active growing season is the best time.

Top Bottom