When to Ground Layer a Hinoki Cypress

BDSM4trees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I bought a pre-bonsai hinoki cypress with a thick, almost bulb at the top of the nebari. I'm considering ground layering it above this ugly area and starting over. I'm wondering when is the best time of year to actually cut into the cambian and begin the process?

If I do this to the tree, I'm assuming I'll need to wait a considerable time before cutting off the old nebari and root system because this tree is somewhat large: 28". Does anyone know approximately how long this would take?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Are you sure they can be air layered? I have no clue.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Isn't cypress the one that needs growth below the layer? @0soyoung

Sorce

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This sounds like a UK tree. They reportedly graft hinoki to another type creating the bulbous base. Peter Chan did a video on dealing with such a tree in the last 6 months if I remember correctly. Hinoki will grow roots but I have never seen any info as to how long or readily.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With a username like that, it shouldn’t take long to “whip” your tree into shape.

Sorry. That was awful.

Welcome to crazy!

BDSM4trees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This sounds like a UK tree. They reportedly graft hinoki to another type creating the bulbous base. Peter Chan did a video on dealing with such a tree in the last 6 months if I remember correctly. Hinoki will grow roots but I have never seen any info as to how long or readily.
I believe the tree is actually from the pacific NW, I'm in CA but thank you for the direction re Chan's video

Top Bottom