When to plant Amur Maple keys

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
like most people I like colour . But I have come to realize I’m in the minority . Nothing wrong with some emerging foliage colour . Some flowers . The fall last blaze of glory . Before the bleak colourless winter . But trees are GREEN . The overuse of blue cultivars if spruce and or purple leaf Norway maple . Come easily to mind when I think of lack of taste . But to each there own 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😎😎 All that being said I can see where I will continue to gain appreciation for Amur maple . Vigorous growth nice new foliage colour dark green foliage . Hopefully nice fall colour . Extreme cold tolerance . To those that say there junk compared to J M . I would say they have never tried to grow those expensive wimps in zone 4 Canada

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
like most people I like colour . But I have come to realize I’m in the minority . Nothing wrong with some emerging foliage colour . Some flowers . The fall last blaze of glory . Before the bleak colourless winter . But trees are GREEN . The overuse of blue cultivars if spruce and or purple leaf Norway maple . Come easily to mind when I think of lack of taste . But to each there own 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😎😎 All that being said I can see where I will continue to gain appreciation for Amur maple . Vigorous growth nice new foliage colour dark green foliage . Hopefully nice fall colour . Extreme cold tolerance . To those that say there junk compared to J M . I would say they have never tried to grow those expensive wimps in zone 4 Canada
I love amur. I live in a weird spot where there is a small sliver that is considered zone 3, mostly 4- It gets chilly!

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Is "keys" a Canadian or British English word?
Yes its English- mainly used to refer to Maple and Ash seeds which tend to hang in bunches like...keys!
I grew loads of these from collected seed years ago , sown in autumn in gritty compost , I had no problem with germination- just left them outside for the winter in a tray covered with coarse grit and wire mesh to keep out birds and rodents.
Ive also airlayered these which again was quite easy!
So good luck!

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they're anything like a red maple they should sprout the moment they hit dirt.
I pull them little bastards out of pots all summer long.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love amur. I live in a weird spot where there is a small sliver that is considered zone 3, mostly 4- It gets chilly!
Been to Duluth racing snowmobiles when younger . And yep it was damm cold . 😂😂 but did not k ow it gets to zone 3 🥶

Top Bottom