When to separate and transplant BC seedlings

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have about 20 of them in a small seed tray. Except for an early 4" one, the rest are about 2" tall. When should I separate and transplant them? 20190420_082728.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It does not matter what species. Seedlings can be transplanted any time after they are large enough to get hold of. The smaller they are the easier it is to extract them from the seed tray. I often prick out some at the stage yours are and leave some to grow on in the community pot and transplant in a month or 2. I can pot up seedlings right through summer this way, including root pruning. Young plants seem to be far tougher than older ones so normal 'right timing' does not seem to apply. In other words, you can transplant these seedlings any time you like.
I would encourage you to try some root pruning on the seedlings you transplant. I routinely cut most of the root when pricking out seedlings for bonsai. Does not seem to worry the plants and they respond with plenty of laterals which is desirable for nebari. I know that cutting roots on tiny babies seems harsh and you will also want to transplant some with roots intact so go ahead with that if you are worried. there are plenty there so just try a couple my way to see what happens.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
2 dozens dozens transplanted. Did 3 taproot cuts. The rest remain intact since they will be planted in the yard later. I still have another dozen to go.
20190421_083917.jpg
20190421_081855.jpg
20190421_081222.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
One of the ones with taproot cut dies within six hours. I must have done something wrong with that one. The rest are OK.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
One of the ones with taproot cut dies within six hours. I must have done something wrong with that one.
Don't always assume something you did has caused any result. There are many, many other reasons that a seedling may die. We humans love to connect 2 events and say that caused this. Life is rarely that simple.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
All the ones with cut taproots have died. Others are all OK.
I now have 45 in pots! I plan to use them to replace the bare roots BCs I planted in the yard earlier in the year that didn't take.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They are 2-3 ft tall now. Just planted 6 in the ground this morning. 30 more to go this fall.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where is pathway to outhouse? Many fond memories but not of Winter:rolleyes:.

Top Bottom