When to seperate crepe myrtle air layer?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I found a really nice crepe myrtle and airlayered it a month and a half ago. I checked it a few days ago and it's doing really well. I had originally wanted to separate it in spring. Now, I'm thinking that might risk a freeze that may kill the tender roots. We don't get many days below freezing here, but we got to 18 F a couple of years ago. Mid 20's F is a common occurrence. Should I wait until spring or separate it in the next few weeks before any chance of freezing?

unnamed (34).jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The risk of harvesting too early is that there are not enough roots and, hence, the layer is gonzo, though it will probably be next spring before you know for sure. Ditto, if they freeze in a pot.

You recognize the risk of leaving it on the tree is that the adventitious roots freeze --> they'll regrow next year if you leave it on the tree, but of course, you probably could just start another layer next year (and wait 8 to 12 weeks instead, then).

So, I think your next post should be a pic of it in a pot = we also learn something (I.e., one can/cannot make a successful air crepe myrtle air layer in south Louisiana in just six weeks of late-summer/early-fall = WTF, do it!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The risk of harvesting too early is that there are not enough roots and, hence, the layer is gonzo, though it will probably be next spring before you know for sure. Ditto, if they freeze in a pot.

You recognize the risk of leaving it on the tree is that the adventitious roots freeze --> they'll regrow next year if you leave it on the tree, but of course, you probably could just start another layer next year (and wait 8 to 12 weeks instead, then).

So, I think your next post should be a pic of it in a pot = we also learn something (I.e., one can/cannot make a successful air crepe myrtle air layer in south Louisiana in just six weeks of late-summer/early-fall = WTF, do it!
I'll probably harvest it this fall/early winter. I still have many trees with leaves on them and we have maybe 50 days before a chance of freezing.......time enough for more and stronger roots.

This is but one "sprout" coming off of a crepe myrtle with a 10-12" base. There are two more CM along this tree line with bases of 3 FEET and 6-8 sprouts up to 6" in diameter. Must have been an old home site.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Aftercare garage or such…I don’t leave any crapes out anymore…not enough mulch or such in the world to repeat…..airlayer antifreeze potential…?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Aftercare garage or such…I don’t leave any crapes out anymore…not enough mulch or such in the world to repeat…..airlayer antifreeze potential…?
Oh, yeah, it will stay in my slightly heated workshop with the tropicals this winter.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh, yeah, it will stay in my slightly heated workshop with the tropicals this winter.
Amen.
My detached garage needs to turn into a slightly heated workshop this winter, good things.
That said though my CM do get some frost, below 28 packed up and in. Think I heard Bjorn talking about somewhere below 28* F being a critical cell freeze-embolism point for some/many less cold tolerant species above ground…need to go back and find that video, was a deep early (October) frost where he put all his trees on the ground off benches..
This temperature practice is grey subjective given variables and such, yet has been sound in the past couple years.

Look forward to seeing this crape stand on new feet.
Thanks

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It should be a dandy. The base had rotted which caused a hollow on the inside surface of all of the sprouts. This one has a 5-6" base with about a third of the circumference being somewhat hollow. Pretty decent flair for an air layer, too.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well, I did the deed about 2 weeks ago. I just carefully checked and new white roots are continuing to form. I've got it planted a little deeper than the final version. The flair you see at the soil line continues to over 5" at the future soil level.

unnamed (1).jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Crepe myrtles are TOUGH trees. They can take a lot of stress, even as an air layer. It appears to have made it, even with it being separated so late in the season. Since it was kept in your workshop hopefully the roots grew some and it will take off on ya. Can you see roots coming out of the bottom yet?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Crepe myrtles are TOUGH trees. They can take a lot of stress, even as an air layer. It appears to have made it, even with it being separated so late in the season. Since it was kept in your workshop hopefully the roots grew some and it will take off on ya. Can you see roots coming out of the bottom yet?
Oh, yeah. They are extending out a couple of inches from the trunk all the way around. We are pretty much past the chance of really cold weather here. If a freak freezing day comes, I'll just move it into my workhsop.

Top Bottom