When to start balancing energy?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Isn't the timing of the pruning really key, though?
Not in my experience! I have had similar results with fall pruning and with pruning at the beginning of the growing season. There are advantages to both in my experience. The fall pruning takes advantage of the slower growth period to set the new buds up, allowing for stronger growth during the growing season. Pruning at the beginning of the growing season shows more immediate results but often the new buds are limited in size and strength going into the winter season.
Either approach can work well. I believe it is the combination of the various details that brings about the best result.
For some pruning techniques such as decandling or candle cutting the timing is critical. This allows for management of the energy balancing that affects uniformity of candle size and reduction of needle length.
With back budding we are talking developmental not refinement. The timing is not the key factor in my experience. The key factor is the combination of vigorous health, wiring, pruning and daily care routines. Combined with a very sunny location and rotation of the tree to obtain good results all around.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Overall condition of the tree
Words can be less informative than pictures.
Picture one is a collected pine returned to good health!
Picture two is the same tree brought to a vigorous state ready for development as Bonsai. When trees can be maintained with this degree of health they respond better to correct application of Bonsai techniques.
Simpler to show than describe.

Attachments

• IMG_9548.JPG
    IMG_9548.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 26

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Words can be less informative than pictures.
Picture one is a collected pine returned to good health!
Picture two is the same tree brought to a vigorous state ready for development as Bonsai. When trees can be maintained with this degree of health they respond better to correct application of Bonsai techniques.
Simpler to show than describe.
How long of time in between the two pictures?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How long of time in between the two pictures?
Two years, the first picture was two years after collection, time to establish a better root ball, change out all native soil and return the tree to health after collection. So starting point of heavy Bonsai work begins in this case after four years. Enough time to get to know the tree and create a plan for possibilities going forward. This can vary with individual trees and species. For example, sub alpine fir responds and recovers much more quickly in my experience. Collected Juniper may require as much or more time. They resent major root disturbance at least until a proper root ball has been established.

Top Bottom