When to Start Fertilizing

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
@M. Frary thanks for the advice on use of Miracle Grow. I tried organic homemade bone/blood/rapeseed cakes but my wily wire fox terrier loved them a little to much and ate them all. Then it was fish emulsion. That drove him even more nuts because he could smell the prize but could never find it.

At last a club member just said use Miracle Grow. But their advice was to use it at half strength. The whole "burn the roots" fear. I increased it to full strength then eventually did 1.5x strength. Over the years I added Osmocote which was helpful, got a better constant flow of nutrients. Still not enough food, or so I know now.

I kept hearing about the evils of chemical fertilizer and how much better organic were. The terrier had passed so tried cakes again. Put them on the trees and they disappeared overnight. All of them. Rats, raccoons, possums. Something loved them to rip open the covers. Enough already. I'm going back.

I'm glad to hear that 5x Miracle Grow tip. Gonna try it this year. I got some organic Portland Rose society fertilizer from the bonsai club and will use that too as the slow release. People swear by it because it has some myccorhizae in it...new to me. Some dogs seem to like that too, but thankfully my Airedale is not interested in it. It is smelly and I have quite a bit of it, but glad to hear Miracle Grow tip. I have always preferred it, but so many people are dead set against. I'm going back to it.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use this and like it. So does my dog, but the benches are too high...
Yep I spilled a few bits of it just earlier today and the dogs cleaned it up in seconds.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I use this and like it. So does my dog, but the benches are too high...
@JudyB do you put it directly on the soil or in teabags? I've heard both from club members, but only anecdotally. I'm doing teabags right now, but only on pines and junipers. Waiting a little longer for the deciduous to harden off a little more.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I personally use teabags. Although I have used it without on some things that were just in big development phases, that I knew I didn't need to remove it from during the season.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I will say that if you have a lot of chipmunk you could have an issue. Or I did at least. I started with tea bags and they would drag the bags off along with all my fertilizer. I just started spreading it on the soil after that. If you go that route just pile it in a few areas so it doesn't clog the entire surface as it breaks down.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I will say that if you have a lot of chipmunk you could have an issue. Or I did at least. I started with tea bags and they would drag the bags off along with all my fertilizer. I just started spreading it on the soil after that. If you go that route just pile it in a few areas so it doesn't clog the entire surface as it breaks down.
Did you pin them down with skewers?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm jumping in late here...
One quick question I have in regards to Fertilizing Azaleas...

Why have I always heard that you should not fertilize your azaleas during blooming???
And what does "during blooming" actually mean?

When flower buds begin moving?
When the flowers are actually opened?

Is this a Bonsai Myth???

Top Bottom