When to start Fertilizing

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello. I have some plants that i kept outside this winter, and we had some warm temps, warm enough to make them start budding, and a few started new leaves. Do i start fertilizing as soon as the buds start forming, or after leaves are out? It is still cold at nights, but i bring them in at evening time, and back outside when it warms up. I have a strong light i keep them under (with timers) if the temps dont get warm enough outside yet. Thanks for any input.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It depends on what type of tree and fertilizer. Generally speaking, I begin fertilizing when buds start forming but with organic fertilizer. I use chemical fertilizer when leaves begin to come. Bonhe

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You're north of Charlotte so you can expect pretty cold weather for a while. If you had fertilized them well before winter set in, I'd wait.

What plants are they? Moving them in and out is likely to "confuse" them into doing things before they're ready.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd relax a bit about the fertilization. It's not March yet. Your concern should be about how to slow those trees down. If they push new leaves much before Mid-March, you could wind up with frost killed leaves or worse--trees lose ALL their winter hardness after they push leaves. Their ability to withstand hard frosts, or God Forbid hard freezes is gone once they have leaves.

The last frost date for Charlotte is usually around the first of April--

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-707.html

You have another month to go before it's completely safe for your trees--unless you own a greenhouse.

Last edited:

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Its weird, the crabapples, and the elms were the only ones that started. I wonder since they came from a nursery in california, in about the first of november, that had something to do with it. They are seedlings, about 1/4" to 1/2". They will probably get more acclimated to my climate after a couple of years. Anyway, I have a friend with a green house and i took them to his place. Hopefully they will be ok. Its close, so i can check on them each day. Thanks for all the advice.

Top Bottom