When to stop watering?

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've had an unusually warm weather in NE Ohio this past week. Couple days of high 50F and one over 60F. Prior to that it's been near freezing.

My trees have been bunched together on a concrete patio under my 2nd floor deck and haven't had water in at least 30 days.

I've been trying to complete my cold frame, but a shoulder injury has been cramping my ability to finish. Was able to get the final digging done yesterday. Just need to buy a few more block to finish the third coarse.

Question is, should I water prior to placing in the cold frame? I'm afraid that being out and exposed to wind for the last month that they have transpired their moisture reserves.

Attachments

• 20191221_143712 (1).jpg
    20191221_143712 (1).jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 30

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm afraid that being out and exposed to wind for the last month that they have transpired their moisture reserves.

That isn't really a thing so don't worry.

You might as well water before putting them away.

Better wet and frozen than dry and also freezing.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is important that roots don't freeze when they are dry. Otherwise you don't stop watering because its winter. Water when dry like any other time of the year. Difference is they will not dry out as fast in winter if they have a modicum of protection.

Top Bottom