When to take trees out of winter storage

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
When is the right time to take my trees out of their winter storage which is an unheated garage?
Btw I'm in southern Wisconsin

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Like,.... bring em out and put em back in if a freeze is a comin Or just leave until no foreseen freeze?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It depends on the species, deciduous or conifer and the state of budding if broadleaf

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I pulled everything out today as it was 60 and sunny. Nothing below freezing in the 10 day. Made me smile...

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For most conifers and hardy deciduous I always pulled them out when the snow melted. For things a little more sensitive I waited until lows were consistently above freezing. For tropicals (Ficus) and semi-tropicals, waited until lows were consistently in the mid-40's.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I take mine out of my unheated garage when the temps are mostly above freezing. Then I do the "bonsai shuffle" if the temps occasionally drop into the 20's, particularly for any trees I may have repotted. For me here in western NY my trees have been mostly out of the garage for the past 3-4 weeks.

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
For me in MN I brought out hardier trees this week from my grow tent in my attached garage, I may move more out and might bring em all in if it begins to freeze. You have to be aware of the temperature in your space and consider if your trees are ready, in MN it is kind of a back and forth dance now and in the fall.

Generally the all clear date is like the 4th week in april, people who do storage (Like Lionel in MBS) usually give back trees then.

One other dangerous concern around this time is trees in your coldframe drying out and dying. My attached garage keeps my coldframe 10 or so degrees so I know I need to start giving more water, fertilizer as the trees come out of dormancy and require more.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
state of budding

While this may be a good indicator for some, always. For others, it can mean nothing at all. Which can be deceiving if folks use it as an indicator.

Here, ground maples are flowering, hardy shrubs are budding, and some Deciduous trees are just expanding, junipers have fractions of inches of new growth.

The long forecast has been jumping back and forth saying no more below freezing, then freezing again, but a freeze hasn't been passed the 12th of April yet. Since the beginning of March.

So....

Since some trees are budding, yet there will still be a freeze, you know that that freeze isn't really going to fuck much up.

What's going to fuck up more, is dancing your trees in and out.

There are 2 types of people, the people who look at the forecast to do to their trees.

And those who look at their trees to make a forecast.

You can't be the latter if your trees are confused.

Healthy trees allow the latter, and the latter allows for healthy trees.

Year 3 with only ground protection, no deaths.
Including my 3x0.5 inch potted boxwood.

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No shuffle. My trees live outdoors all year. For me it’s just removing a windscreen from my outdoor storage area. Trees are open to whatever nature brings on...rain, snow, ice, sun and more snow.....they just sit on the ground during the winter months with no care at all. Nature does it all. Uncomplicated use of native trees.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
While this may be a good indicator for some, always. For others, it can mean nothing at all. Which can be deceiving if folks use it as an indicator.

Here, ground maples are flowering, hardy shrubs are budding, and some Deciduous trees are just expanding, junipers have fractions of inches of new growth.

The long forecast has been jumping back and forth saying no more below freezing, then freezing again, but a freeze hasn't been passed the 12th of April yet. Since the beginning of March.

So....

Since some trees are budding, yet there will still be a freeze, you know that that freeze isn't really going to fuck much up.

What's going to fuck up more, is dancing your trees in and out.

There are 2 types of people, the people who look at the forecast to do to their trees.

And those who look at their trees to make a forecast.

You can't be the latter if your trees are confused.

Healthy trees allow the latter, and the latter allows for healthy trees.

Year 3 with only ground protection, no deaths.
Including my 3x0.5 inch potted boxwood.

Sorce

If you have to ask when to take your trees out, then you need to be given the most basic of answers. Those who “know” will either do the two step, or not have to ask.

The tree needs to be read, first and foremost along with the local microclimate.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have to ask when to take your trees out,

I was gonna say.... The most surest time is when the new foliage begins to touch each other in the close winter quarters.

But I guess if you have to Repot...(Repot in the summer) but if you HAVE to Repot, that'll be a bit late ish... Ish...cuz probly not right?

You know what's backwards too?

People think trees more tolerant of cold wake up early, go to sleep late, but it's not true at all. Cuz they know better.

I think everyone is wrong because there is a beginning path that changes what is correct that no one takes.

Many confused trees out there.

Sorce

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was gonna say.... The most surest time is when the new foliage begins to touch each other in the close winter quarters.

But I guess if you have to Repot...(Repot in the summer) but if you HAVE to Repot, that'll be a bit late ish... Ish...cuz probly not right?

You know what's backwards too?

People think trees more tolerant of cold wake up early, go to sleep late, but it's not true at all. Cuz they know better.

I think everyone is wrong because there is a beginning path that changes what is correct that no one takes.

Many confused trees out there.

Sorce

I agree. I think behind watering, knowing your climate is the most important (especially when it comes to repotting)

I started repotting on new years day, and the lowest it got since was 34° and that was once. The lowest its really been is high 30s low 40s without a frost chance in sight around.

I am actually the last person that should be giving advice on when to bring trees out, as I dont have to do it ever 😂😂😂

Maybe just making people be aware of what to look for is the most important 😀

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I started repotting on new years day, and the lowest it got since was 34° and that was once. The lowest its really been is high 30s low 40s without a frost chance in sight around.

The 2 I dug from the ground in November, After the first snow, seem to be coming out of winter ok in their pots.

I am beginning to believe there is a larger difference between a confused tree, and an unconfused than I originally thought.

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When is the right time to take my trees out of their winter storage
For conifers, when leaving it in storage would cause long, leggy growth due to the lack of light.
Same for deciduous, but, shuffling under cover per frost demands.

When the new buds are needing light. MOST of mine this year, came out mid-late February
as I had my ear to the Spring forecast of an above average early-mid Spring, and a cool June.
That's cool, an extended Spring is in store here :cool:

So it's all about the said tree itself and the forecast.
Any healthy pine or juniper should do well out of protection now in WisconsinI would think.
If you have maples that are leafing out, you'll need to shuffle them in and out of the light and frosts.
Pretty sure it frosts here as high as 35ºF.

Top Bottom