When to water a Cork Jade after a repot and defoliation.

Bonsai Buddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi all! I just repotted my cork bark jade for the first time today. I had grown it indoors for a good while but decided to transfer it outside about a week and a half ago. To my astonishment after two days the poor thing looked terrible and had dropped a bunch of petals. Some looked kinda burnt... I guess it was kind of an adaptation shock because now it’s growing new petals that seem to handle the sun. So today I repotted, repositioned and pulled the rest of the sad looking petals off. So my question is when should I water my little cork jade? I let it dry out before this. The main reason I ask is because it no longer has a bunch of petals to draw water from. I did not cut any root because I put it into a larger pot. I’ve heard you should feed heavily after defoliation. So any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my only jade and it’s very special to me. :) It is currently in shade under an awning. Thanks in advance.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've heard that you shouldn't water for about a week after repotting to give any roots you might have torn a chance to callus over. I usually do this for mine and I've never had any issues.

Bonsai Buddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi @thams Thank you so much for the helpful reply! :) I'll have to mark on my calendar to water her in a week. By the way thams do you keep your jades in the shade after you repot yours for that week or is it better as long as it's not going to rain to keep them in the sun? Please let me know, thanks.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi @thams Thank you so much for the helpful reply! :) I'll have to mark on my calendar to water her in a week. By the way thams do you keep your jades in the shade after you repot yours for that week or is it better as long as it's not going to rain to keep them in the sun? Please let me know, thanks.
As long as they're not in scorching sun, they should be ok. I don't worry about the heat too much. Just wait until they're pushing leaves or actively growing some, or they start to prune up a little and then water very thoroughly.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I forgot to ask, is the soil free draining? If so, there's less of a worry of root rot.

Bonsai Buddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@thams Yes the soil does drain quickly. It's lava rock, pumice, calcined clay and a bit of pine bark. Thanks for all the help this morning thams, I really appreciate it. :)

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@thams Yes the soil does drain quickly. It's lava rock, pumice, calcined clay and a bit of pine bark. Thanks for all the help this morning thams, I really appreciate it. :)
Cool, you should be totally fine. As long as you weren't too rough with the roots during repot, then you should be totally fine to water after a little time. I just up-potted all of mine and they're all appreciating the room to stretch out.

Bonsai Buddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks @thams Yeah I was very easy on the roots. No cutting, just had to kind of reposition them as I repositioned the tree itself. It went from a bit of a cascade style to more of an upright. Thanks again for the help, I hope all your jades keep doing well in their bigger pots. :)

Top Bottom