When to water healed in trees during winter

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve read people still water their bonsai during winter. However I’m curious as to how to know when. I’m still very new to the practice. I healed my trees into the ground and covered the soil with a layer of mulch. I’m not concerned at this time since we’ve had several rains and snow but not sure how I will know when they need supplemental water.

Attachments

• BDEAD6AF-51BA-4D28-85D6-E3762DB290ED.jpeg
    BDEAD6AF-51BA-4D28-85D6-E3762DB290ED.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 12

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just as always. When the soil gets dry. Typicall after a period of frost the soil gets too dry. But then again, if you live in a place like mine, you will not water between early october till March because nature provides

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Healing=making well...
Heeling=tamping with heel of hand or foot.😁

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
if there is mulch over the surface of the soil, then you might need to check every few days under the mulch to monitor moisture level. I don’t mulch over the surface of the soil on my trees in the winter so it is evident when the surface is wet/damp/dry.

You should probably water when it is damp, not quite dry yet. Depending on species.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
if there is mulch over the surface of the soil, then you might need to check every few days under the mulch to monitor moisture level. I don’t mulch over the surface of the soil on my trees in the winter so it is evident when the surface is wet/damp/dry.

You should probably water when it is damp, not quite dry yet. Depending on species.
Thanks for your input. Would it be sufficient to check the soils surrounding the structure/mulch if I move the leaves away?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Following this thread closely!
I’ve had to Create a long bunker for my plants this year since I moved and don’t have the space for all my plants in my heated cold frame.
What about when the pot/soil is frozen?
How do you monitor moisture then?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
It would be better to check media inside a pot. Large tree in a small pot can dry out while ground is still moist.

But if your spot is open to rain and snow, likely you won't have to water often, Grand Rapids Michigan gets fairly regular rain and snow in winter.

Top Bottom