When to wire? (Mangifera indica)

Munch9

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My wife planted a mango tree a couple of months ago, she wants to make it a bonsai although it's not very recommended.
We are in doubt about when to wire it...

45fbcdc6-a6d0-46e7-a3dd-0c2f7bb43bea.jpg43ce727e-1ba8-4fcc-bce1-f4e4c2536602.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’ve no experience with mango trees...

But I’d say, “Wire it when it’s bendy” 🤣

Smaller bends EARLIER are less-stressful to the tree then heavy bends LATER.

But obviously wait for someone with mango-specific information to chime in... because I’m a wild and dangerous Nimrod. 🤣🤣

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Is that where it lives?

If if is.. this plant probably wants more light. Your climate is perfect for these.. are you able to put it outside? (Must slowly acclimate to the direct, UNFILTERED sun.. 1 hr first day.. then shade. 2 hrs second day... then shade. And so on until you hit 6-7 hours...)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Scribble a drawing of what you want it to look like. Look at some pictures online for ideas. Then, wire it whenever a branch or twig emerges and gets strong enough to stand wiring with a light gauge to mimic your drawing . Tweak it as much as necessary, whenever. You need a plan, but expect to deviate a little as it grows, and update with a new drawing from time-to-time. Crudeness of the drawing doesn't matter, it only needs to serve the purpose of organizing your mind.

Munch9

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Scribble a drawing of what you want it to look like. Look at some pictures online for ideas. Then, wire it whenever a branch or twig emerges and gets strong enough to stand wiring with a light gauge to mimic your drawing . Tweak it as much as necessary, whenever. You need a plan, but expect to deviate a little as it grows, and update with a new drawing from time-to-time. Crudeness of the drawing doesn't matter, it only needs to serve the purpose of organizing your mind.
So I could start bending the little green trunk right now or wait for a branch to emerge from it?
Is that where it lives?

If if is.. this plant probably wants more light. Your climate is perfect for these.. are you able to put it outside? (Must slowly acclimate to the direct, UNFILTERED sun.. 1 hr first day.. then shade. 2 hrs second day... then shade. And so on until you hit 6-7 hours...)
I don't have access to an open area, but I use window stands, I will setup one for it soon!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Living in a window can help you put some movement in the trunk, too.
The tree will grow at an angle to reach toward the light. After a month (or whenever you notice it about where you want it) turn the pot so the tree will grow another direction.
Sometimes a tree may just grow a new branch toward the light in stead of the whole trunk going one way. If that happens then you have more to opportunity for movement early on. You can help this one along by chopping the top above a node where more than one leaf starts.

I did some of this to the avocado pit my wife planted last fall. Pretty sure that's not what she intended of it, but it's what I did. That's what happens when you want your plants places you can't reach.

But again, no mango experience, so grain of salt.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I guess I was a little slow on the draw here, because I see you made a rookie mistake in some otherwise neat wiring: the swoops in a trunk are arranged such that the branches (leaves become branches over time) are on the outside of a curve, and never on the inside of a curve. For now, just straighten out the trunk. In a week or so, re-bend it to formula. Do not go straight from here to there right now.

Munch9

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I guess I was a little slow on the draw here, because I see you made a rookie mistake in some otherwise neat wiring: the swoops in a trunk are arranged such that the branches (leaves become branches over time) are on the outside of a curve, and never on the inside of a curve. For now, just straighten out the trunk. In a week or so, re-bend it to formula. Do not go straight from here to there right now.
Okay okay, followed your guideline, in a week we will twist it again, the other way.

Thank you!

Top Bottom