When you die, what will become of your trees? Curious who's got this planned!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm in my mid-30's although obviously death doesn't really care what age you are, anyways....I hope it doesn't come across as morbid as I've simply thought of this in-context of the trees' futures and not of my/others' demise(demises? can't word today) however this is something where I'm guessing that, were they to die, that there could be a surprising-% of known-names, w/ big & beautiful collections, there's no specific (or even general!) plan in-place for the 'smooth passage' of their collection to another, competent party.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I want to stress this is a "trees in-perpetuity" theme/context/whatever, I am not sick or anything and don't know anyone who is at the moment, nothing morbid sparked this I just considered how I disliked the idea of having my trees sold off, to the highest bidder or something, to some knuckleheads who don't know the difference between soil & substrates, at my passing....my thought was that, at some point, I'll just choose somebody and ask them if they'd be willing to take delivery, then just set it up so those who are in charge of my will (for my worldly possessions & estates, rofl) are aware that it's important said person be notified ASAP that they need to come collect!

Would love to hear your thoughts on this, I ponder Japanese trees that have been in a single family for generations and, were I to have kids, would certainly not even need to think about this as I'd have them in bonsai and they'd want my trees lol, but since I'm not expecting to be a father that's irrelevant to me so figured I'd ask for others' thoughts on this ;D

Happy New Year & hope you're all enjoying the remainder of your weekend!!!

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wife has been told to give the arboretum bonsai collection first choice of anything worth their interests then the local bonsai club members can line up with half the proceeds going to the club itself.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I hope to find a person with the same characteristics as I have, and I'm sure we wouldn't get along. That person will most likely get half of my collection.
The other half will be sold or passed down to my own kids.
All of my other arts and crafts, I don't know. I couldn't care less actually.

Then there's a huge collection of frozen seeds from my "I swear these are tomatoes" breeding programmes of the past 10 years. If retail price stays stable, whoever sells those will be able to afford a brand new car, maybe two. I'm going to let people fight over those. If there's a hell, I'll at least have something to laugh at down there.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An excellent topic to which I found so far!
Yes, everyone will die sooner or later! Well prepared will assist the family members at ease! We all must have the living trust to avoid probate! Bonsai is a living art, so it will be different with non-living parts such as house, car, bank account, antique items, etc.
Even before we pass away, when we are sick enough to take care the trees, we need someone can take care these trees, even just watering ! These are what I would do to prepare for my final days:
- have a best friend who do bonsai and live about 2-3 miles from my house ( I have). This friend can water your trees and help you or your family sell the collection
- list all of trees, pots and tools with the prices to which you or someone can accept. This list will give to friend and family
- if my kids like to do bonsai, it will have any problem. If they don’t like it, then I would pass my collection down to my best student in affordable cost if I have one..
Thụ Thoại

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
While my children like to work on trees with me and appreciate the art, I don't expect them to have the same interest in two, five or ten years. I wouldn't want to saddle them with anything they don't want, but they have first dibs. Friends and the local club can have the rest.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine would be toast...none of them (husband and boys) have an interest. Though, my husband lays claim to a few he has no desire to tend them. I would hope a friend in the hobby seeing on a social post would offer direction say if it was sudden. If I knew ahead of time my short end was near, I would offer some possibly to ones I felt would care for them...or sell them off on an auction. I have intentions if joining a club in the spring...so my answer could change in the future.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Hopefully my now 14 year old boy. He showed some interest in the hobby a fee years ago. But has since killed a bunch of larch from neglect. Hopefully the interest comes back well before the reaper is knocking on my door. If not I'd hope to know some younger people that I can't trust inheriting my trees. I'm in my late 30s and hope I got some time left to find these people.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
About 15 years ago, I had a health issue that was interfering with my ability to adequately take care of my orchid and bonsai collection. But I did not want to consciously admit it. I started loosing the odd orchid here, tree there, due to neglect on my part. Finally had surgery 10 years ago that essentially left me more or less paralysed for a month or two and unable to take care of my plants for about 6 months. Had a good friend come in and help at that time. Once I was well enough to take back over it dawned on me how much I had lost during my illness. This is the reason that even though I started bonsai in 1971 my trees look like a person who has only been growing bonsai in the last 10 years. I pretty much lost everything that was well developed before my illness. Some sticks in pots survived, but they were not developed, so still have not picked up the aged, 20 year plus look to them.

So my suggestion is get someone to be your helper, while still healthy. Have someone trained. Because, you only need to be laid up a few days, or a week and most collections go from being valuable to being only worth what the empty pots are worth.

I have a phone number posted on the wall, and my brothers and sisters know who to call should I get laid up again.

As to distribution. Have gone through it once, I hope that when I get past the point of caring for my collection again, I will distribute trees out while I'm still healthy enough to do the sales. Preferably one at a time, to get the best price. I recognize I can not, and should not plan on owning these trees until the day I die. I have an obligation to distribute the good ones in particular before their health declines.

Once I'm dead, my executor has the list of who to trust for appraisal of value, and who is NOT ALLOWED to step foot on the property.

I do know that once I'm dead I won't care. Because I'll be dead.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine would be toast...none of them (husband and boys) have an interest. Though, my husband lays claim to a few he has no desire to tend them. I would hope a friend in the hobby seeing on a social post would offer direction say if it was sudden. If I knew ahead of time my short end was near, I would offer some possibly to ones I felt would care for them...or sell them off on an auction. I have intentions if joining a club in the spring...so my answer could change in the future.

If you're close to Cleveland, the Cleveland Bonsai Club next meeting is Jan 26.

It is certainly something to think about. We recently had an older member donate all of his trees to the club. In a different field I also belong to a sportsman's club and when one of the member's died suddenly another member helped his widow sell off his guns for a fair price.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you're close to Cleveland, the Cleveland Bonsai Club next meeting is Jan 26.

It is certainly something to think about. We recently had an older member donate all of his trees to the club. In a different field I also belong to a sportsman's club and when one of the member's died suddenly another member helped his widow sell off his guns for a fair price.
Four hours away.mmy closest one just moved closer. An hour and a half from me now. Will wait for better road conditions before joining.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
In all seriousness, I hope to be physically capable of personally taking care of my collection for several more decades to come. I do realize that there will be a time where my larger trees will need to move along to another place where they will receive the care and attention they deserve. I'm under no false illusions that my children will continue on with them, so they will likely be sold or, perhaps, donated to the right individual or garden. Ultimately, I'll be left with a smaller, more manageable collection of smaller bonsai until I'm unable or unwilling to deal with them... rinse and repeat.... Any remaining trees left after I pass will likely die due to neglect.... sad, but the truth.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine would be dead within a week or two. Neither my son nor husband has any interest whatsoever. My friend who waters for me when we're on vacation, thinks they're "cute" but that's it. I have much nicer pots, than I do trees, so maybe someone would want those.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have an arrangement with a guy who has a bonsai shop that I sell my surplus/unwanted trees to. I give him groups of trees from time-to-time, and he takes them to his shop, values them by his standards and gives me money the next time we meet. I want him to take his time and figure out how much he can sell it for rather than shooting from the hip. I want him to give me an amount in line with what he would have to pay for the trees in the open wholesale market. He has to make money or its not worth the effort. I'm glad to have an outlet and get money for what I don't want. Auctions, club or otherwise are buyer's markets and I've taken all the beatings I need, so getting a price based upon the real market is just fine by me. He has always treated me fairly. Anyway, I told my wife and son, call this guy and tell him I'm dead before my body gets cold, and he will bring his truck to take everything bonsai related away and send you a check for whatever its market value is. Naturally, they could keep something if they want to, but I don't think they'll keep much, and I want it all in the hands of people who will take good, loving care of them...

Top Bottom