When You Transplant Your JBP Seedlings....

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...unless you're totally into straight up trees, make sure you start to give them some good shape. It is much easier at this time to bend the little guys, than it is a few years down the road. These seedlings you see here are 1 1/2 yrs old. I started them from seed with the intentions of making most into cascade shohin. When I transplanted them into their larger container/ training pots last March, I did so along with a wiring task also. Since then with a good fertilizing regiment, they are coming along really well. A few even have the wire starting to bite into the trunk, something that is encouraged at this state of the game with JBPs.:cool:

Attachments

• ctnblt61.jpg
    ctnblt61.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 73
  • ctnblt51.jpg
    ctnblt51.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 74
  • ctnblt41.jpg
    ctnblt41.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 70
  • ctnblt31.jpg
    ctnblt31.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 73
  • ctnblt11.jpg
    ctnblt11.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 75

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have some JBP seedlings that I got this spring. I am surprised at how vigorous they are. Most have gone from about 1/8” diameter to over 1/4” so far this season. I plan on getting them wired up this fall.

The theory behind allowing the wire to bite is that it accelerates the thickening of the trunk and helps set the bends. The wire should be monitored carefully for subsequent wirings. I have also heard of the wire be left in place on field grown pines. The tree just grows around it.

It is also important to consider the size of the final tree when wiring the trunk. Large bends for large trees small bends for small trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
I have a seedling about as big as that.
I bought a pine book. Its helped a lot.
Should I wire my pine now? Its only 2 years old.
Im putting it into a colander next spring. Or slip potting it.
Your pine looks good.
Porter

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have also heard of the wire be left in place on field grown pines. The tree just grows around it.

Does it matter what kind of wire you let the tree grow around? Is my worry about toxicity really nothing?

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Did you secure the wire to the bottom of the colanders? Looking good.:D

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I might be able to answer most of the questions you guys asked through this link I'm attaching from an article I did this past spring about these little JPBs for Dallas Bonsai Gardens. There is even a little short video.

The wire to be used is annealed copper, and it wasn't anchored to the pot, just pushed down into it as these little guys don't need much in the way of anchoring yet. I would also wait until winter or close to it when the sap stops flowing to make any really tight bends as i have done here if your seedlings are already getting pretty woody.

Let me know if you have any other questions.:cool:

The link:http://blog.dallasbonsai.com/spring-air/

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
I decided to make my pine cascade shohin. I wired it, and it looks like photo #4.
I plan on field growing it. its only 2 years old. Now Im going to heavily fertilize

Top Bottom