Where’s the support?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Some of us are probably a little too frank in telling people that they are wrong-headed and need to abandon one path for another. Personally, I think it's a disservice to sugar coat advice and allow someone to continue down a blind alley. New people need the feedback of success and coaching them on to a ten year project is a mistake, IMHO. My advice will always lean towards short term goals that are achievable by a new person. The advice needs to be customized to the person asking the question. Very often my advice is ignored, and that's fine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you can keep a Schlef alive, you can do ficus too. Ficus are not compound leaves and can scale better. I keep mine in an Hydroponic aquarium with LED light over the winter and can get more development in the indoor season than outdoors in the summer.

Try some outdoor species native to your area too, although maybe start looking around in the spring when the threat of winter is not around the corner.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No. Based on the number of members I ignore compared to the total number of members on the forum, I am missing less than 2%.
ok. Just feels that way sometimes. I know some people have me on ignore. I also realize that you wonder at times.. Why repeat my answer. Oh wait. You just do not see what I wrote. :)

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When I'm looking at a discussion where an ingored member has posted, I see a notification, "You are ignoring content by this member." And if I'm curious enough, I can temporarily view anything posted by a person I am ignoring. Almost all of the time, my decision to ignore is confirmed.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have to devise a devious plan to see if people are ignoring you.

It doesn't work!

Ignore.

I'm
Gonna
Neglect
Obvious
Reciprocation
Eternally

Aka.

Moron!

You can lead a horse to water, but their trees still dry out and die!

Sorce

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven’t been here long but have noticed that as long as people stay away from politics the atmosphere here is very pleasant. True some people are much more up front with the way they dispense advice but that’s not a negative and something to not take personally. This forum is such a wealth of information and it’s members are always very quick to jump in the moment someone asks for help.

edit: And I can’t imagine a valid reason for anyone to be ignoring @sorce or @leatherback !

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I ignore people who's intent is to belittle others. I don't see their bullshit and don't excited and want to kill them. Ignore rocks!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I’m not sure what the issue is. Looked to me like most responses were of the helpful, dialogue creating sort. Frankly though, if the comments were not what you were expecting then maybe change your expectations. Because you know, the internet. Some of my first posts and comments on trees I had styled were met with 1 liner criticisms. But many comments were great. And ultimately I kept those criticized trees and they look great to my eye. I take everything on here with a grain of salt and I certainly value some peoples comments more than others. You will learn over time which to listen to. I’ve gotten a ton of great advice and suggestions from some great members over the years. Or you could just use this forum as a means to document your own trees and no more. If people criticize then let them. Ultimately the time i spend in this art is for me. I’m aiming to mostly please myself, if others take joy in my posts then great, if not, then oh well. If people choose to answer my questions and help, then great, if not then oh well.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I'm looking at a discussion where an ingored member has posted, I see a notification, "You are ignoring content by this member." And if I'm curious enough, I can temporarily view anything posted by a person I am ignoring. Almost all of the time, my decision to ignore is confirmed.
My favorite thing about the ignore function is that its existence (and the possibility that someone might actually use it) seems to annoy the hell out of some people. Kind of like how faccebook annoys the hell out of some people.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see a notification, "You are ignoring content by this member."

Ohw, that is actually pretty cool.

And I can’t imagine a valid reason for anyone to be ignoring @sorce or @leatherback !
I can think of dozens. Not many good ones. But yeah. To start the list. Who would claim to be the source and then misspell it?

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have not been on this forum for long, but a good portion of my general questions and posts with my excited victories are met with judgements and harsh criticism. I guess I feel that one should ask me questions instead of assuming things. I wanted to share in some Bonsai-nerdiness with like-minded people on this forum. I didn’t sign up to be burned at the stake because I am new and do things differently.
Is there a specific area, on this forum, where Bonsai people are NICE? Just want some support in my newest hobby.
There are many on here that when you talk about bonsai want to talk about the traditional stylings and species for bonsai and ONLY the traditional way. Now obviously if its an art form your way wont be for everybody i get that but I totally 100% agree with you because ive felt this way and still do to an extent. It seems like everytime you ask a question people respond with critiscism and then dont even answer your question LOL. ive learned to just ignore everybody until I get someone who actually wants to help rather then critique me. (Keep in mind I dont mind critique as long as they also include an answer to my question) I think alot of the new generation wants to go into bonsai and see what species they can get creative with or have different styles. So when its not "traditional" its not bonsai to them. Which is fine if they have that viewpoint but sometimes when people are new to the art of bonsai I tjink people should suggest things but also help with what the newbie wants to accomplish. A happy medium is all that is needed but it seems many cant find that happy medium. I almost quit posting on here because of it but for me I like when people doubt me. Just fuels my want to do it that way to prove them wrong.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry you have had that experience. I’ve only been here about a year, and I have posted a TON of really shitty trees, lots of stupid questions, and I have received nothing but honest feedback, positive support, and thoughtful criticism. Honestly, the fact that so many brilliant, seasoned artists stick around to help a dummy like me is why this forum is such an amazing resource.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Was the thread where people were rude you deleted? I see only good feedback unless someone is PM’ing you insults.

Generally this forum seems very kind to newbies. If there’s fighting it seems to be among the much more tenured members duking it out over a battleground topic based on which master or lack their of they studied under.
I didn't know you could delete threads.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I have not been on this forum for long, but a good portion of my general questions and posts with my excited victories are met with judgements and harsh criticism. I guess I feel that one should ask me questions instead of assuming things. I wanted to share in some Bonsai-nerdiness with like-minded people on this forum. I didn’t sign up to be burned at the stake because I am new and do things differently.
Is there a specific area, on this forum, where Bonsai people are NICE? Just want some support in my newest hobby.
Just like others I looked through your two threads and saw nothing that qualified as harsh criticism. Could you give some examples of what you are talking about? You should check out some of the really "harsh" threads (best soil mix for eg :D).

Top Bottom