Where are the ...ROOTS ???? mystery.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not even olives? IF you have olives.
Adding organic was the salvation of mine courtesy JudyB when I was having all the problems with my olive in the NON organic "soil."
I have all my olives in Inorganic Bonsai mix as well. The only organic i use is the fertilizer intended to provide nutrients for the trees. If organic components assisted your olives health then it was due to the effect on the growing conditions, either moisture retention or nutrients would be my guess.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I notice with the organic fertilizer I use with every watering ,it really becomes part of the inorganic soil after about a month.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haven't had any problems lately, getitng my pines to fill their pots with roots within a month of spring repotting. I do use a myco dust (gnarly roots brand) and maybe that's why?.?.. I know some guys on here kind of bash myco powders but I have been using it with my inorganic soils the last two seasons and have no plans on changing that. It is possible that My caretaking skills have just gotten better with time (and they have) but there's no doubt that the mycofungi wasn't there until I added it

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
You don't hear about using that Great White crap on bonsai because myc inoculants aren't a cure all for root growth. At best they can provide only a bit of help. At worst they're a scam. Adding those kinds of expensive stuff is mostly ineffective. Myc associations, as noted before, are largely species-dependent, if the particular tree uses them at all.

The "rootless" condition, as Adair said, is more likely due to differences in surrounding soil and the trouble the tree has in growing roots across the interface of the root mass soil and the new, probably more porous, surrounding soil.

There is absolutely no need to spend money on Myc. The "right" kind will arrive on its own, or it is already present. The gross white mats of fungi that I've heard Great White produces is most likely incidental fungal growth. I have heard of all that white growth choking off soil drainage...
HB101 will bring your dead tree back to life! Saw it on the interweb 1 day.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My olive seems okay in my eyes. Has some organic added per JudyB.
Wish I had a pic of the sparse foliage "before." My main problem was leaves brown tipping.
But now it seems fine. Have pruned to split stuff a few weeks ago. ????

olive 8-18.JPG

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The what? dregs?
The poo balls, or cotton seed meal, or bone meal, or rape seed meal, or blood meal or whatever organic fertilizer you’re using will break down into little pieces which fall down into the soil and start to clog it up. Putting that stuff in tea bags lets the water dissolve the nutrients, but leaves the hunk in the tea bag. Mostly. Then toss the tea bag, and replace with a fresh full one.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The poo balls, or cotton seed meal, or bone meal, or rape seed meal, or blood meal or whatever organic fertilizer you’re using will break down into little pieces which fall down into the soil and start to clog it up. Putting that stuff in tea bags lets the water dissolve the nutrients, but leaves the hunk in the tea bag. Mostly. Then toss the tea bag, and replace with a fresh full one.
If I ever use top fertilizer I definitely will use the bags;)
For now me and my trees are hooked on bat guano from Earth Juice Grow..... it also has blood meal ,bone meal.......mild every single watering liquid so it actually makes a pretty homogenous substrate with an all aggregate soil which draines well but also retain some substance.
I read bat guano kills nematodes to so no root nematodes or root gall and stuff like that.
Stuffs expensive though $30 a gallon but man you can really push the growth when you’re growing out a few trees!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Usually......

An expensive bottle of something you can't figure out how much to use of on your trees when is NOT the mystery solver.

Try some Scooby Snacks!

S

sierrajuniper

Sapling
Reaction score
If I ever use top fertilizer I definitely will use the bags;)
For now me and my trees are hooked on bat guano from Earth Juice Grow..... it also has blood meal ,bone meal.......mild every single watering liquid so it actually makes a pretty homogenous substrate with an all aggregate soil which draines well but also retain some substance.
I read bat guano kills nematodes to so no root nematodes or root gall and stuff like that.
Stuffs expensive though $30 a gallon but man you can really push the growth when you’re growing out a few trees!

Hi Cmeg1

Are you using HydroOrganics Earth Juice Grow? I dont see liquid Earth Juice Grow with bat guano from Amazon. Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/HydroOrganic...d=1549770529&sr=8-1&keywords=Earth+juice+grow

Top Bottom