Where can I buy decent tools @ decent price?

mfs4057

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all,

I love gardening....and pruning ...etc..around the home. So, I already have a green thumb, if you will. But, I now find myself a "nut" for Bonsai...and would appreciate some advice on tools and the purchase of them.

I've searched so many web sites...and at this point, I'd appreciate it if you could steer me in the right direction for great/good Japanese Bonsai tools...at reasonable prices. I already know how expensive it could get...and economical as well...I believe I visited Adam's web site.

Please help.
Thanks, Mike in Camarillo CA

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Mike and welcome to the Nut House!
WWW.Dallasbonsai.com has some decent tools to start out with.
Most used tools for Bonsai are the concave cutters...others you can add as ya need them...
Irene

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you were going to buy one tool from Dallas Bonsai (as a beginner) I would recommend this one. I bought one for my mom (she has a landscape Japanese maple) and it was really nice quality for a general purpose concave cutter.

Other tools can come later as you get a feel for what you need. As a minimum, you will want:

wire cutters (any type will do to start)
needle nose pliers
general pruning shears (for medium branches)
fine pruning shears (for small branches)
concave cutter (see above)
you might also consider a small hand saw that cuts on the pull stroke

These will get you going and then you can worry about adding hundreds of dollars of stainless steel tools later on :) In my leather tool roll I keep:

1 long handle shear
1 spring-handle shear
1 bud shear
2 sizes concave cutters
2 sizes knob cutters
1 root cutter
1 plier/nipper
1 leaf trimmer
2 tweezers (one straight, one bent tip)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wiring pliars do wonders for you tree and skills. Get wire and soil supplies first.

I would say 1) Concave cutters 2) pruning shears(but these cat be a good pair of bypass cutters from anywhere, just get a better quality pair), and 3) wiring pliars

Then as you aquire the need get the other gadgets - knob cutters, tweezers, root hooks(made mine), die grinder and cutters, grafting toold, branch benders, etc.

Top Bottom