Where Can i find Japanese Maple "Arakawa" in Canada?

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

Just curious if anyone know here in Canada, Toronto, Ontario...I can find Japanese Maple "Arakawa"???

Thank you for the help.

Jun

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I would like to know where some buy Arakawa seedlings domestic too.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I don't know if arakawa seed produces the same characteristics, but Brussel's, Evergreen Gardenworks, and Bill Valavanis usually sell arakawa. Not sure if they can ship to CA, but I'm sure you can get them in FL.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if arakawa seed produces the same characteristics, but Brussel's, Evergreen Gardenworks, and Bill Valavanis usually sell arakawa. Not sure if they can ship to CA, but I'm sure you can get them in FL.

Thank you. I know that if they are commercially packaged and from California I don't need import/export papers to show to our customs...I asked our CFIA and CBSA...

I went to houseofbonsai in California last year, the lady said they don't sell seeds and I didn't see any maple....they got lots lots of pines.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you. I know that if they are commercially packaged and from California I don't need import/export papers to show to our customs...I asked our CFIA and CBSA...

I went to houseofbonsai in California last year, the lady said they don't sell seeds and I didn't see any maple....they got lots lots of pines.

Hmmm.... House of Bonsai does have lots and lots of maples and lots and lots of Arakawa.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think they even have arakawas on ebay.
What I know is they don't produce seeds... (maybe they do)

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I think they even have arakawas on ebay.
What I know is they don't produce seeds... (maybe they do)

So it would be small cuttings at the best case? I guess the seeds would be probably cross pollinated and untrue to the mother stock, so they typically take cuttings?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm almost certain Arakawas make seeds, but as with any cultivar of maple you need clones as cutting or grafts for them to carry on the name. Some seeds from Arakawa may develop rough bark characteristics, but one cannot ethically call those seedlings Arakawa.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm.... House of Bonsai does have lots and lots of maples and lots and lots of Arakawa.

Do you know if they can get those phyto papers from the US regulators? I tried emailing them and calling them...no answer. I'm heading there in July...so If they say "yes" i'm gonna apply for an import permit before end of next week and submit it....

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it would be small cuttings at the best case? I guess the seeds would be probably cross pollinated and untrue to the mother stock, so they typically take cuttings?

I'm going to give House of Bonsai a call again. Hope i can find someone that can give me an answer. Maybe if you want we can import couple of those and i'll pick them up and fly them back on the same flight back.

"hint hint" I work for the Big Red.:)

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was there last Summer (two weeks)one week in July another one in Sept. spoke with a lady who works there (may be the owners wife)...she just showed me all the JBP they have all over the place and i took some photos of the potted HUGE Cork Bark they had in a locked cage...no arakawa.

:confused::confused: cork bark maple isn't always arakawa?

mark_g

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
try this one, they are based in PEI, the website says they can ship.. http://thehoneytreenursery.com/Japanese-Maples.php
I've seen one before in 5 gallon container in a nursery here in Toronto. But its very rare they have it all the time. when I came back its gone.
I been looking all over the place for some seigen jap maples too..

thanks for the info on where you got your pines.

Mark

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two listings in Canada, both in B.C. and both in Chilliwack, BC.

Grey Cat Farm Nursery at 4610 Simmons Road. V2R 4R7 (604)823-4780

and Mosterman Plants at 43583 Adams Road V2R 4L1 (604)823-4713

These are listed as nursery sourses in the back of 'Japanese Maples' by JD Vertrees and Peter Gregory.

My local source is forestfarm.com and they say a phytosanitary certificate is required and to ask for details.

These are tree sources and not bonsai sources, just want to be clear on that, but I get alot of bonsai material from Forest Farm Nursery. Check out their catalog, many rare and unusual trees from all over the temperate regions of the world.

Hope that helps you get your trees, Rick

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I'm going to give House of Bonsai a call again. Hope i can find someone that can give me an answer. Maybe if you want we can import couple of those and i'll pick them up and fly them back on the same flight back.

"hint hint" I work for the Big Red.:)

Very cool. I actually work for a commercial pump company that is headquarted in Toronto. I'm up there at least once a year

Top Bottom