Where can I find this watering can?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pretty sure I got this blue can from Stone Lantern, but not on their site now.
DSC_4010.JPG
It has its quality issues I understand, but it's the best can I've used, though disposable after 2 years.
Also had to add teflon tape to the threads, to stop the leak at the connection to the can.

I just bought the 1.8g green Haws behind it and am disgusted with using it for bonsai already. Too clumsy on old bark...not good for small pots either.
The rose is too big, and gobs of "product" streams out the bottom of the rose when completing the task each time
as the can is returned to level.
DSC_4011.JPGDSC_4012.JPG
Really all I need is the proper sized rose I think, but the Haws doesn't fit it properly, so I'm not sure how to get a rose that fits.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’ve had a Haws (green one) for years and use it regularly to feed my trees. They’re great cans, though in the photo, the rosette is on upside down, which may be your problem.

Just looked at their website, and they’re out of business now. Amazon has them. They’re not cheap, but last forever.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’ve had a Haws (green one) for years and use it regularly to feed my trees. They’re great cans, though in the photo, the rosette is on upside down, which may be your problem.

Just looked at their website, and they’re out of business now. Amazon has them. They’re not cheap, but last forever.
That’s the one I have Brian, the Haws.
It’s like a bull in a China shop.

Turning it right side up like you mentioned should help with the large stream when leveling back up
but there’s no delicacy to the size. I have always used the other one positioned as you called upside down
because I like the mechanics of it that way much better. This size of a rose is wasteful for me.

Unbeknownst to this thread or my thoughts on the Haws, my wife said yesterday
“I don’t like that new watering can you got”. 😆

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have had several of those blue ones, got them from ebay. They are cheap and I use them for the inside stuff in the winter. took a quick look over there, but didn't see any, didn't spend much time though.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have had several of those blue ones, got them from ebay. They are cheap and I use them for the inside stuff in the winter. took a quick look over there, but didn't see any, didn't spend much time though.
Thanks Judy. I’ve searched eBay a couple of times in the last couple of weeks.
Actually found a nice galvanized and copper one on a site, ordered the galvanized one one, ended up
cancelling 2 credit cards new ones issued, as that site now appears to be a phishing scam.
1.5 - 2 gallon size for $60 or the copper one was 80 or $90. WHQDEVMARKET.com Beware!
I just need a rose that fits either can, and it may be that the 1 pt. size is interchangeable with this Haws I got.
I will send Wayne an email today at StoneLantern since he carries the Haws.
Tinsmith made ours.
NICE!!! My birthday is coming up soon.....
Those Haws cans apparently were amazing but the latest versions have a ton of negative reviews.
I understand. The handles are not molded to the body in a one piece construction
so I lack faith in the integrity of the joint walking across the living room floor with
nearly 2g of fish fertilizer mixed up in it. There is SOME movement at the joint, a click I hear.

If my wife, who I can’t call and say water the spruce I just potted up, and her know which
plant I speak of, has negative input on it, then there’s something to it.
Really hard to water my Arakawa JBP or anything for that matter that I don’t want to wet the needles.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a a Haws plastic can I have used for years. I keep the nozzle clean, and never leave it outside.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pretty sure I got this blue can from Stone Lantern, but not on their site now.
View attachment 291885
It has its quality issues I understand, but it's the best can I've used, though disposable after 2 years.
Also had to add teflon tape to the threads, to stop the leak at the connection to the can.

I just bought the 1.8g green Haws behind it and am disgusted with using it for bonsai already. Too clumsy on old bark...not good for small pots either.
The rose is too big, and gobs of "product" streams out the bottom of the rose when completing the task each time
as the can is returned to level.
View attachment 291886View attachment 291887
Really all I need is the proper sized rose I think, but the Haws doesn't fit it properly, so I'm not sure how to get a rose that fits.
I have the larger ( possibly older) version of the Haws ( Red in color) works like a dream. Been using it for approximately 7 years now! The rosette needs rinsing out occasionally and once a year I soak it over night in vinegar to remove and deposits. If water drips from the spout sleeve I simply rinse, clean and re attach. this removes small particles in the slip joint. It is possible the newer versions are not the same quality! I also use the rosette in the downward position for better distribution.
Another spray wand I prefer is the all brass wand sold by Bonsai Tonight! attach to the hose, with pistol grip control and very fine spray! Because it has such positive shut off action I find it useful in the greenhouse. Better control of flow, less on the floor! Not an inexpensive item though, but the quality stands up through many other cheaper versions. Just my 2 cents.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have the larger ( possibly older) version of the Haws ( Red in color) works like a dream. Been using it for approximately 7 years now! The rosette needs rinsing out occasionally and once a year I soak it over night in vinegar to remove and deposits. If water drips from the spout sleeve I simply rinse, clean and re attach. this removes small particles in the slip joint. It is possible the newer versions are not the same quality! I also use the rosette in the downward position for better distribution.
Another spray wand I prefer is the all brass wand sold by Bonsai Tonight! attach to the hose, with pistol grip control and very fine spray! Because it has such positive shut off action I find it useful in the greenhouse. Better control of flow, less on the floor! Not an inexpensive item though, but the quality stands up through many other cheaper versions. Just my 2 cents.
the rosette is on upside down
I agree it must be a recent change in production standards. Good point Frank on using the vinegar.
That's how we clean the power heads, pump impellers, shrouds and other equipment in saltwater use.

The unit is brand spankin new, and I removed the perforated disk before I even used it to check functionality.
It's clean as a whistle, and when I rotated the rose in the upward position as Brian suggested, and it actually exacerbated the problem
of a large stream during the entire use, not just when re-leveling the can.
If I get bored I'll shoot a video using it both ways, but I'm pretty covered up in chores being my only day off.
Just need to get the rose right.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a a Haws plastic can I have used for years. I keep the nozzle clean, and never leave it outside.
Hi Dave
Spot on leaving it outside. That's why the plastic rose on my BLUE can failed.
UV will rot anything, even us.
Now I leave my can outside. I've never found a snake in the can yet.
I do remove the perforated disk and clean regularly, you know when it needs it.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Those Haws cans apparently were amazing but the latest versions have a ton of negative reviews.

And I posted one of those after buying one and trying to use it. The spout split at the end the 1st day I used it when trying to hook up the rose and keep it from leaking all over. I rebuilt the end of the spout and what you adapt to it. It works good now but do agree it's clunky as hell. I also think the rose is to big and lets out to much water. I get more use out of the down spout than the rose especially if I'm fertilizing and don't want to hit the moss. I mean it's 2020...certainly we have the tools and technology to build something better than that!

Last edited:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wayne Schoech from Stone Lantern replied to my inquiry about smaller roses fitting
and said
"... the company that was our source for Haws cans discontinued them. We have tried finding another supplier stateside and have also tried contacting Haws to see if we can import them. No luck on either count to date."

Well, today since I leave my can outdoors, and because petals fall no matter where you leave your can, they can get in .
I removed the perforated metal disk to clean out the debris, and now I cannot get it back in.
The metal is bending, and it just won't seat, so I'm returning it through Amazon. $62 should go further than this.
Just been that kind of day. The license plate holder on my wife's new (2017) Mercedes had been rigged and only
one nut to hold the plate on now, so back on with the expired temp tag.
Got my hair washed and cut today, and while looking for missing screws to the plate holder, a black bird perched
above nailed me, not 30 minutes afterwards. Crap! 🤣 I will try the Dramm and hopefully in a 2g size with a smaller rose.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’ve ALWAYS had success with DRAMM products... I am, however, biased as I used to work there, my father was their engineer for over a decade.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’ve ALWAYS had success with DRAMM products... I am, however, biased as I used to work there, my father was their engineer for over a decade.
Ok, so is there an 8 liter or bigger like 2 gallon with a rose around 2.5" in diameter with the Dramm?
The one big thing during todays issue, is the cheap old blue can above, has a snap on perforated disk
that covers the rose and works beautifully for cleaning out.
Does the Dramm rose offer such an easy clean out?
The spout angle, length and rose worked together beautifully
without any support anatomy like a wedge or bracket.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am not familiar with the vast majority of their new product lines. The equipment that I do have... has been around my family since before I began my “TinyTree” journey... we haven’t NEEDED to replace anything. The items that I AM familiar with offered very quick and efficient “field breakdown/assembly” I’m sorry, I wish I could be of more assistance. I will send an e-mailed inquiry in my father’s direction.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am not familiar with the vast majority of their new product lines. The equipment that I do have... has been around my family since before I began my “TinyTree” journey... we haven’t NEEDED to replace anything. The items that I AM familiar with offered very quick and efficient “field breakdown/assembly” I’m sorry, I wish I could be of more assistance. I will send an e-mailed inquiry in my father’s direction.
Thank you, that would be great.
Would be good to know if there are different sized rosettes available to purchase that will fit the same can.

Top Bottom