Where did my post go?

Oakenshield

Seedling
Reaction score
I made my first post about 15 minutes ago in the New To Bonsai forum. I edited it and added some photos, I saw are reply notification and then refreshed the page and my post has vanished. Was it moved or deleted? I'd like to know if this post was moderated, and if it was, Is your forum standard to advise users of why a post is moderated?
Thanks.

Having said that I'm going to try to post this again incase it was a forum glitch.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well your messages show up as 1 right now so it is not up there

Oakenshield

Seedling
Reaction score
Well your messages show up as 1 right now so it is not up there
Thanks. It was there, because I edited it and it had a little edited message under it.
I just made that post "Such a thing as a Casual Bonsai Hobby?a second time in the New To Bonsai forum. It registered, it showed up in the message list, and several minutes latter the post is gone *again*.
Something definitely is going on, is there mod around who can verify what the issue is, a problem with the forum, or a problem with my post?
Thanks!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Did you by any chance post something controversial?
Used emoticons?
Also, maybe you edited too fast and the forum security stepped in and flagged you as a robot. New posters usually have some restrictions for a day to keep bad intentions at bay.

Oakenshield

Seedling
Reaction score
Did you by any chance post something controversial?
Used emoticons?
Also, maybe you edited too fast and the forum security stepped in and flagged you as a robot. New posters usually have some restrictions for a day to keep bad intentions at bay.
This was included in the post: 🤔 since removed, but don't think that was the issue, a standard emoticon for this forum software.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was that in the title?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah. I’m not getting any search results for it. Must be a bug with the site. What was your question?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe it was consumed by a wild and angry tree? There aren’t enough Ents left to keep all the trees in line. They lost the Ent wives, so there haven’t been any Entings in a long time. I read that somewhere.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Casual Bonsai Hobby
I actually got to see this one in the few minutes it was up. Unfortunately that juniper looked like a goner. When they dry out to solid brown it’s not good. Don’t let one experience put you off though. Your P. Afra can make a pretty sweet little bonsai with enough chopping and patience. What soil are you using? Since you are in a hot and dry climate it may help to add a component to your soil that holds on to moisture a little bit longer like the Napa #8822 diatomaceous earth. You could also set up a simple timed misting system/drip irrigation system off Amazon for under $50. Although I do recommend learning each individual trees watering requirements before you set up any automated watering system….BUT… This can take some of the routine out of bonsai and give you a little leniency in watering in your climate and kinda put that aspect on cruise control so to speak.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah. I’m not getting any search results for it. Must be a bug with the site. What was your question?
Not a bug. It had to do with the fact that he is a new member, has fewer than ten posts, and triggered the spam function - which moved the post into the moderation queue. Once I took a look at it and saw it wasn't spam, I "approved" it. This actually happens a couple of times per day. Call it a "false positive" from the thousands of spammers the site properly screens out.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not a bug. It had to do with the fact that he is a new member, has fewer than ten posts, and triggered the spam function - which moved the post into the moderation queue. Once I took a look at it and saw it wasn't spam, I "approved" it. This actually happens a couple of times per day. Call it a "false positive" from the thousands of spammers the site properly screens out.

In that case, consider me impressed. I can’t claim to know much about website maintenance and moderation, but only a handful of false positives and thousands of actual spammers sounds like an excellent ratio. The spam filter on my email is terrible by comparison.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the effort to keep spam out. I just replied to the OP's OP...

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In that case, consider me impressed. I can’t claim to know much about website maintenance and moderation, but only a handful of false positives and thousands of actual spammers sounds like an excellent ratio. The spam filter on my email is terrible by comparison.
In the last month alone, the spam system was triggered 1,831 times.

Most of those were spammers trying to register on the site who were getting blocked, but in a couple of cases they were spammers who were successfully registered, but then were prevented from posting. In a single case one spammer sent out quite a few private messages to members... all of which were blocked.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks. It was there, because I edited it and it had a little edited message under it.
I just made that post "Such a thing as a Casual Bonsai Hobby?a second time in the New To Bonsai forum. It registered, it showed up in the message list, and several minutes latter the post is gone *again*.
Something definitely is going on, is there mod around who can verify what the issue is, a problem with the forum, or a problem with my post?
Thanks!
I saw your casual bonsai post yesterday. I don't know what happened.

*Edited because I read further into the thread. That'll teach me.

Oakenshield

Seedling
Reaction score
What the site needs to do is put up a message to the person posting, that as a new person, your post will be temporarily invisible until moderator approved. :) I had no clue what was happening to my posts. :(

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What the site needs to do is put up a message to the person posting, that as a new person, your post will be temporarily invisible until moderator approved. :) I had no clue what was happening to my posts. :(
That's not the case however. Most new members post just fine, and never trigger a moderator tag. There are a number of things that will get you tagged, and though I don't know for certain in your case, it was likely that you were posting too often, or editing a post too often in a limited period of time.

Sometimes this happens when someone hits a lag spike and accidentally hits the "post" button too many times, or something similar. Regardless, as you can see it was a short-term issue that was resolved pretty quickly :)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
In the last month alone, the spam system was triggered 1,831 times.

Most of those were spammers trying to register on the site who were getting blocked, but in a couple of cases they were spammers who were successfully registered, but then were prevented from posting. In a single case one spammer sent out quite a few private messages to members... all of which were blocked.
Thanks for all you do!!

Top Bottom