Where do all the bonsai go?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was wondering about this. Every year thousands of bonsai enthusiasts buy / train trees. eBay constantly lists and sells trees, and there are a fair number of commercial bonsai nurseries that succeed commercially by selling many trees per year. Where do they all go? Are there thousands of unseen bonsai collections out there that are gradually growing year by year? Or do people kill a LOT of trees and just replace what they kill?

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think most of the bonsai being sold at bonsai nurseries are purchased by people who do not know about bonsai and got it as a gift for somebody else, which probably means that a large portion of those trees die due to lack of knowledge on what a bonsai requires to be healthy.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about the puppies and kittens? (off topic)

I've always wondered the same thing about all of those cute puppies and kittens you see at a pet store. What happens... gulp... to the ones that don't sell?

PS Sorry about being a bit off topic but inquiring minds want to know.

paddles

Yamadori
Reaction score
I was wondering about this. Every year thousands of bonsai enthusiasts buy / train trees. eBay constantly lists and sells trees, and there are a fair number of commercial bonsai nurseries that succeed commercially by selling many trees per year. Where do they all go? Are there thousands of unseen bonsai collections out there that are gradually growing year by year? Or do people kill a LOT of trees and just replace what they kill?

I've walked into department stores around here and seen 2o or so half dead bonsai, (You know the little tree stuck in a little pot? thing) I hesitate to calll them bonsai but still, these are the sort of things that are churned out by the millions, people buy them and then either keep it inside and overwater it, or put it outside and water when they think of it. Of course the tree dies! the ones that stay alive, are either not trained at all, or badly trained till they die. Many people equate bonsai with a bunch of flowers, they don't see them as a lifelong project. or they are impatient, they see a mature bonsai by some bonsai expert, and want thier treee to look like that instantly. (Mind you, I wouldn't mind if mine looked more "Finished":eek: I sometimes go to a nursery in Melbourne, and they don't have a lot of trees on display, but the prices they ask:eek: 2 doors down is another nursery that mass produces, and the difference in price is noticable, but then so is the quality. But too many people would rather spend $10- on a so-so young tree than $3000- on a good tree.:rolleyes:

paddles

Yamadori
Reaction score
I've always wondered the same thing about all of those cute puppies and kittens you see at a pet store. What happens... gulp... to the ones that don't sell?

PS Sorry about being a bit off topic but inquiring minds want to know.

animal shelter

Top Bottom