Where do you buy online???

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks guys! And the best place to get annealed copper and what sizes would I start out with?
I get my wire from Jim Gremel, Order a starter set from him it is the best way to begin. I believe it has five sizes included and my guess would be 16,14,12,10,8. After a while you will get a feel for the sizes you use most often depending on the type of trees you keep and their stage of development.
I have not tried many other producers but have found it of excellent quality and fairly priced! Have used his wire for over a decade. I used to make my own but found it tiresome!
If you are considering online, check the shipping prices as it can really change the overall price. We ordered club wire ( aluminum) from Stone lantern and we ended up paying more for the shipping than the wire! So much for getting it on sale!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
And does Jim have a website to order from Frank? Thanks, Peter

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Back to the OP’s question, if you are in California, I really think you’d benefit from shopping locally, or take a drive to the Bay Area (Grove Way, Lone Pine, etc), central coast or LA. There are many specialty bonsai nurseries, and general nurseries that will have superior material you can see live. There’s no substitute for being able to touch, dig around the base and view material from every angle. So since your probably within a few minutes or hours of some great material, I’d be looking on line for tools and supplies and focus on trees locally.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tdang, that place is really cheap!
When comparing wire prices it is important to check the roll size. Some vendors sell by length which varies by the smaller sizes and larger sizes. other vendors sell by weight of the roll. Check the small print for surcharges and shipping costs. The next issue is full roll or half roll. I think you will find that the commodity price is pretty much the same for all producers buying in quantity and the overall retail pricing taking into account shipping distance and state taxes will be similar.
I also feel the overall quality is very important so ask around and find out what the product is like. Also inquire about bulk pricing or club pricing for larger quantities.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What about stands? Anybody have a good source for a quality stand at a decent price (NOT Mirai, good God!).

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I too use bonsaijack.com for my soil components.
They are tested regularly and shipping is built into the seen price and fast, dustless quality.

I also use Adams Bonsai for my copper wire using 8,10, 12 and 14 guage mostly
and don't have a problem combining copper colour aluminum wire for the most delicate moments.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have tried about 4 times to get in contact with Adams for the copper wire both with the phone and email and have never received a response. Does someone have a number or email that works?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have tried about 4 times to get in contact with Adams for the copper wire both with the phone and email and have never received a response. Does someone have a number or email that works?

I just got some pines from Julian Adams last week. He was tremendously responsive and a pleasure to do business with. I’ll certainly be a repeat customer (when the Zuisho white pines are back in stock, thanks to @Adair M threads 😁).

His email is on the website: jra@adamsbonsai.com

I’ve never ordered wire from him, though, and it looks like the wire orders go through someone else. I’d try shooting Julian an email - I bet he would be happy to help you out.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

read this link

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Was it Adams or Hollow Creek that sold Cu wire on Amazon? It's not there anymore,
and when I searched Hollow Creek now, only aluminum wire is available.

I've never heard of adams selling on amazon. Don't know much about Hollow creek...

Top Bottom