Where do you buy online???

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey Bonsai Community. Forgive if there is a thread similar to this but I was unable to find.

I wanted to get people's opinions and suggestions about sites online that are helpful and good when it comes to ordering supplies from basic materials all the way to bonsai specific hardware. So things such as value or bulk soil materials, fertilizers etc.

If you have any successful experience buying plants online, I'd like to hear about that as well. I know this isn't a promotional blog but that's not the intention of this post. I'm simply trying to learn people's secrets and methods they've figured out to help our passion along.

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 137

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've had good luck with Superfly and @Jonas Dupuich of BonsaiTonight.com. That said, I prefer to connect with trusted vendors at the shows that are within driving distance when possible to cut down on shipping. With that in mind, know that the California (and certainly the west coast) bonsai economy is the envy of most of the country.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Certain eBay sellers are good. As can be the Facebook auctions.

The thing is, bonsai is an art, each piece is individual, unique. Created by individuals. So, I’ve had the best success dealing one on one with others via personal relationships I’ve made by going to and participating in shows, teaching classes, taking classes and by being an active participant in this forum.

That said there are good resources: bonsaitonight, Brussels Bonsai, Mark Comstock, Superfly, Matt Ouwinga, etc. It takes time to build up your own network.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have ordered stuff from Matt Ouwinga and very pleased with. I have also ordered stuff from Brent @ evergreengardenwork.com

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have been very pleased with all of the material I have purchased from Wigert's. If you are looking for something specific, that is not on their website, Andrea there will send pictures of material that may be of interest to you. She's very helpful. They also sell on ebay.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For tools and incidental supplies i use Kaneshin or Bonsai Tonight.
I do not buy plants on line.
Soil components i do not buy on line.
Vendors at conventions and workshops otherwise!
Nurseries in Oregon, Washington and California for plants other than collected or grown by myself.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
With that in mind, know that the California (and certainly the west coast) bonsai economy is the envy of most of the country.

Well then, I guess I'm going to have to build that network because that's where I am!!!! Thank you all for the great ideas!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well then, I guess I'm going to have to build that network because that's where I am!!!! Thank you all for the great ideas!
You need not have to order mail order at all in Fresno. Anything you need can be had here. Tools, plants, soil, and all much cheaper than mail order. I sent you a PM and we had a "very small" exchange. You seemed to want to go to the Fresno meeting, which was last Sat. and I think you missed it. The raffle was huge, over fifty plants raffled, stands, pots probably 75 pieces total. The grand prize was a custom stand I donated, that I made. I also did the program for the first meeting. I gave you my contact info, and where I live. For someone with a name "rollwithak" I find it odd that I reach out and you post here for help.

Whats the deal.....

70029179_10157723831449244_74937210696105984_n.jpg70225386_10157587749296494_1216137513328967680_n.jpg70316000_10157723831504244_5768150617650364416_n.jpg70634681_10157587749326494_5082109779153780736_n.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had great experiences with

www.evergreengardenworks.com - 4" and 1gal pots
www.bonsai-south.com - Good southern USA yamadori and Zach has a ton of knowledge.
www.goldenarrowbonsai.com - Very nice older yamadori

However - judging from the post above you should really tap into that resource @Smoke has offered you. It will always be cheaper to go local and you'll also get in with some experienced people who can help you out. I've bought all my best material with my local club and it doesn't have nearly the pedigree the California club does.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've had good luck with https://www.wabisabibonsai.com/

Unfortunately they are far from me ,so the shipping costs are pretty high.

Buck

Looking through the website his deciduous tree pictures are mostly grafted. Have you received grafted material?

I wouldn’t expect a 7 year old 2 gallon nursery stock to cost $150.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ive found www.easternleaf.com to be the cheapest place for standard bonsai wire.

And www.americanbonsai.com has super cheap drainage screen and every en vogue bonsai soil you can imagine. And their drainage screens are huge for $1.

I've used Www.Bonsaioutlet.com for some cheapo plastic pots to start with and a nice sieve set. They sell Tiny roots tools which I have heard are decent

And you can buy nice tools from kaneshin directly

I also know that, while not the answer you're looking for I like shopping locally wherever I can. Things like bonsai soil get exorbitantly expensive online. You'll find this community here at BNut really promotes resourcefulness. Many eschew the en vogue soul for example in order to be able to get local items. In CA though you won't have any issues whatsoever getting anything you need in person.

Last edited:

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking through the website his deciduous tree pictures are mostly grafted. Have you received grafted material?

I wouldn’t expect a 7 year old 2 gallon nursery stock to cost $150.
If you reach out to him he’ll send you pics of the trees up close and different views. I read he was excellent at grafting. I got a sharps pygmy and Atlantic cedar from him ....both were quite healthy. The sharps had a horrific nebari. However he showed me that in the pic. I got it for dirt cheap, it was my first maple so I grabbed it .

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been very happy with a lot of pre bonsai I have purchased from smaller independent sellers on eBay. You need to be discriminating when shopping there but I have some fabulous plants. Point in case, I have balsam fir, white spruce, hemlock and such that I bought from a small collector in Main. I have half a dozen 35 year old Korean Hornbeam from a seller in Maryland. I have purchased pre bonsai and starters from most of the east coast states. You need to be vigilant and look often because most of these sellers only offer a few plants at a time. They almost always combine shipping.
For online, it is hard to beat Bonsai Jack for soil components.

Top Bottom