Where do you buy online???

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, truth is I don't shop online, but if I did....

It would be from my bed, naked is just for the rather gross idea of it, when really, I only play with my trees naked!

Hahahahaha!

Just don't shop online IMO, threads dead.

It's hard enough to find good stuff in person, it's the sad human truth that you shouldn't shop for trees online.

Shipping is too risky too.

I trust pesticide free over UPS UsPS FedEx etc any day!

Sorce

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
He's very unresponsive, and his material is disappointing. I only bought low end seedling black and white pines, but was highly disappointed. If you buy from him...get it out of that turface crap ASAP...as others have said b4. I lost one of the 3 year old white pines I bought due to that stuff. I transplanted, but lost too many roots due to being one rock hard rootball.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Just don't shop online IMO, threads dead.
Unfortunately, the only bonsai nursery in my vicinity has closed. And HD and the other big box stores don't carry anything I'm really interested in, so there's not much choice. There are good, reputable people out there, you just have to be choosey about who you are buying from.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
He's very unresponsive, and his material is disappointing. I only bought low end seedling black and white pines, but was highly disappointed. If you buy from him...get it out of that turface crap ASAP...as others have said b4. I lost one of the 3 year old white pines I bought due to that stuff. I transplanted, but lost too many roots due to being one rock hard rootball.
My experience has been quite the opposite.
Highly disappointed in “low end seedlings”...that’s pretty funny actually.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Agreed. I got both black pine and white pine seedlings and all are healthy. The 2 yr black pine seedlings are larger and more vigorous than 3 yr seedlings I’ve received in the past from others.
A1F8E033-3E0A-4D2D-A6B0-27A3E57E5849.jpeg

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed. I got both black pine and white pine seedlings and all are healthy. The 2 yr black pine seedlings are larger and more vigorous than 3 yr seedlings I’ve received in the past from others.
View attachment 267179
The pines I got from Julian came in a natural substrate, maybe composted leaves and bark, arrived healthy. I made their lives less happy... 😣

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
yeah..I see the irony in my comment. But when you have to add a ball peen hammer to your bonsai tool kit in order to loosen the root ball, there is a problem. And even with "low end seedlings", you have a certain expectation of them staying alive.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have tried about 4 times to get in contact with Adams for the copper wire both with the phone and email and have never received a response. Does someone have a number or email that works?
Hi Peter. Have you been able to secure an order and pricing yet?
I just shot Mr McKinnley an email, need 10 12 and 14g I just ran out of the 12 (2.05 mm)

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi Peter. Have you been able to secure an order and pricing yet?
I just shot Mr McKinnley an email, need 10 12 and 14g I just ran out of the 12 (2.05 mm)

Yes I did get in touch with Jeremiah McKinney . There was an email mess up on my end. Very nice guy and got some wire ordered

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I did get in touch with Jeremiah McKinney . There was an email mess up on my end. Very nice guy and got some wire ordered
I bought a mixed set from him last fall, agree - nice guy, easy to deal with.
Brent

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never ordered any trees from Julian, but have bought from him at shows. Everything I've seen or purchased has been healthy and reasonably priced. Yes, he does grow in turface (or mostly turface) so if you have an issue with that, either avoid his plants or plan to repot. But it is worth knowing that he's been growing trees in that turface mix for decades and has had a number of trees in the National Show, so...

As for wire, I used to purchase regularly from Julian and a couple of months ago placed my first order with Jeremiah. It was like nothing had changed, same great service (including quick response to email), good packing, quick delivery.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great! I sent him an email yesterday (Sunday night) had a reply pithing 14 minutes wire shipping today.
It's less than $11/roll (50') + sh/h 2 day priority.
I think you mentioned that you never used copper before?
A bonsai wire cutter really is a good idea...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update - looks like Hollow Creek Bonsai has been acquired by New England Bonsai Garden. Not sure how long the old Hollow Creek website will be active but the online store is off.

Hollow Creek Website

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They didn't actually purchase Hollow Creek, but yes, did acquire their assets.
New England sent this email out Nov 1st.
I checked the stores' link for the 3 day sale and the pre bonsai trees were outrageously priced
for what work had been done on them. Made me feel much better about my own nursery projects.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Update - looks like Hollow Creek Bonsai has been acquired by New England Bonsai Garden. Not sure how long the old Hollow Creek website will be active but the online store is off.

Hollow Creek Website

$1849 for this "specimen"...? Their prices are criminal. I'm scratching my head at the cost vs quality ratio for their material.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
$1849 for this "specimen"...? Their prices are criminal. I'm scratching my head at the cost vs quality ratio for their material.

View attachment 272884

I visited his place a number of times but only bought one tree, thought a lot of his stuff was overpriced, some by a lot. A lot of trees sat there for years and years so I suspect many agreed. That said, he had a LOT of material and there were some decent values, but you had to spend a lot of time going through the trees in person to find the good ones - the photos generally weren't great and weren't updated on any kind of regular schedule.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The thing is, bonsai is an art,

And this is BS but to the arrogant and self centered. This week on Mirai Live stream Masayuki Fujikawa of Japan a Bonsai professional trained under Master Masahiko Kimura was asked by a listener if Bonsai was considered art or gardening in Japan? As his answer there are very few there who would consider themselves an "artist". The reason that it would be too self aggrandizing(or in english arrogant). Hence my beginning comment as I feel much the same way. Those who insist they are "artists" have learned nothing of humility:rolleyes::rolleyes:. And personally not worth learning anything from except what not to emulate.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And this is BS but to the arrogant and self centered. This week on Mirai Live stream Masayuki Fujikawa of Japan a Bonsai professional trained under Master Masahiko Kimura was asked by a listener if Bonsai was considered art or gardening in Japan? As his answer there are very few there who would consider themselves an "artist". The reason that it would be too self aggrandizing(or in english arrogant). Hence my beginning comment as I feel much the same way. Those who insist they are "artists" have learned nothing of humility:rolleyes::rolleyes:. And personally not worth learning anything from except what not to emulate.
Wow. You have quoted that phrase completely out of context.

And then, tried to start an argument about “is bonsai art” on a thread about online resources for bonsai supplies. Amazing. Simply amazing.

There are already several threads about that very topic. Take it over there.

Top Bottom