Where do you find your soil?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
D E is a replacement for which part. Akadama.. Pumice or Lava..?

No, diatomaceous earth, DE, is its own thing. It is not equivalent in any way to Akadama. Chemistry is different, origins are different.

Akadama is unique, a clay derived from volcanic rock, from the erosion of pumice, scoria, lava and possibly some basalt. Most clay in North America is has some eroded limestone in it's origin. Akadama and Kanuma are pretty much lime free. There are deposits in the Pacific Northwest of clay similar to Akadama, with similar chemistry, but cost prohibited for commercial production.

Turface is also not a replacement for Akadama. As the clays are very different in chemistry.

DE is the fossilized skeletons of fresh water diatoms. Mostly silica, with only moderate amount of calcium. The pore structure of DE is excellent for holding huge amounts of water relative to weight.

So each of these products behave differently in a mix, none are direct substitutes for the properties of Akadama. Not are they substitutes for each other.

But functionally, you can make perfectly acceptable mixes using these "alternative" products. Nothing wrong with them. Chemistry of each is unique, one should approach them as individual mixes. You modify your watering and fertilizer pattern for each of these mix components.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No, diatomaceous earth, DE, is its own thing. It is not equivalent in any way to Akadama. Chemistry is different, origins are different.

This is a good point that I'm glad you made. Even being a relative noob, I'm always balancing conciseness with accuracy in what I say. I should have made a better distinction between "replacement" and "equivalent." DE is definitely not akadama, but I've even heard Ryan Neil (who must buy akadama by the ton) say that it offers potential as a domestically-available option to replace some of the qualities of akadama. Aside from knowing some others who use it as such in APL/"Boon's mix", that's the limit of what I know though.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Went to O'Reillys last week in search of opti-sorb DE. Instead they had "thrifty-sorb" which appears to be black Turface.

CoreSeverin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For what it's worth, I just found (and ordered from ) buildasoil.com . A cubic foot (~28 liters or ~7.5 gallons) cost me 32 bucks shipped. Seemed like a good deal.
I will have to check that out, seems like a decent enough price. I have been hesitant to buy higher end soil because it just seems a little expensive.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have ordered from General Pumice Products in the past.
Sized and sifted.... the amount you get is the amount you use.

Reaction score
Which... Pumice? Sorry super late to the conversation... topic has gone to lots of different amendments as well.
Yeah, I ordered pumice from them. Wish I had gone with Bonsai Jack instead. BJ shipped monto clay to me in 2 days. Build a Soil is running about two weeks behind on shipping...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, I ordered pumice from them. Wish I had gone with Bonsai Jack instead. BJ shipped monto clay to me in 2 days. Build a Soil is running about two weeks behind on shipping...

Also take a look at Bonsai Tonight. Hes got 14 gal of pumice for $30 with free shipping.
And its sifted for size.

Thats not bad and probably more bang for the buck than Build a Soil that youre going to have to size grade yourself

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also take a look at Bonsai Tonight. Hes got 14 gal of pumice for $30 with free shipping.
And its sifted for size.

Thats not bad and probably more bang for the buck than Build a Soil that youre going to have to size grade yourself
14 *lbs* not 14 gallons. It's about 3 gallons. I rushed over there in a hurry to check :)

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And its sifted for size.

I ordered 1/2 a pallet of Aoki akadama from Jonas this spring. Call or email him and see what freight would be. I split the order amongst bonsai friends/the local club and it drove the price of Aoki (premium stuff) down to what most people pay for regular akadama. If you have people to split the order with, it's a really good option.

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I finally got around to the pumice I got from Build a Soil. Though it's not apples to apples, I'd say it has a similar size distribution and a bit more powder content than Bonsai Jack's monto clay. It required a bit of sifting, but I'd say that I lost 1 to 5 percent of the bag. Negligible, but I think I'll order from Bonsai Jack next time. Build a Soil took forever to ship, which tells me that they're not hurting for business. BJ shipped the next day, has a better selection, and is priced well for me.

Reaction score
What would be an appropriate mix for a Brazilian rain tree? I won’t have to repot for another year or two but it’s always good to be prepared. Air layered a year ago, repotted this year from nursery mix to bonsai mix, I’m not sure what the mix consists of, got it close to 2 or 3 months ago. Facing south on my back porch, sun from 630am until about 230-3pm

Top Bottom