Where do you like to order pots from?

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Hi, I'm new here and am wondering what site you like to order your pots from?

Do you prefer glazed or unglazed pots or does it depend on the tree?

I'm needing to order about a half dozen pots and am finding a tremendous amount of variety online so thought I'd ask which your favorite sources are.

In central Florida I paid 28.00 for a cheap Chinese 6' glazed pot! Crazy.

Thanks a bunch! Katie

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here mostly!

But Facebook auctions are a good place to look.

Definitely depends on the tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the widest variety can be found on FB auctions.

Welcome to Crazy!

You pretty much have 3 categories.

People who sell good stuff.
People who sell shit.
And people who sell their own stuff which could be good or shit.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

I'm needing to order about a half dozen pots and am finding a tremendous amount of variety online so thought I'd ask which your favorite sources are.

Thanks a bunch! Katie
The answers to your questions are MANY ..and varied.. I will TRY to help. 🤓

Finished -bonsai pots are typically made of ceramic, stone(Cement) or glass.

There are many companies that import shallow, wide ceramic containers which are visually pleasing.

Many people like shopping by Potter/ceramic artist... There are a few excellent potters here that sell their wares...
@sorce @penumbra @Pitoon @ABCarve @Soldano666 Robert Hunter (not sure his screen name) and many others all sell pots here... check the “pots” and “other selling” sections of the forum..

Also.. there’s a haiku contest to win a FREE pot.

Glazed vs. unglazed?... It’s your buffalo.. dress it how you want.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Facebook auctions is probably the last thing I expected! I can't stand Facebook but I may have to create an account just to buy pots?
Half the people on this forum use it as a substitute for other social media, so you're in good company.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Facebook auctions is probably the last thing I expected! I can't stand Facebook but I may have to create an account just to buy pots?
I loath it as well, I pretty much only use it for bonsai.

Here are the good ones:
- Bonsai Auctions
- 99 Cent Bonsai
- Bonsai Pot Auctions

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Horselover Fat, you made me smile..."It's your buffalo...Dress it how you want."

I may have trouble finding shoes.

Thank you for listing the members names who create pots. I'll search their names on occasion to see if they're selling anything, or is there an easier way?

I'll get to work on that haiku!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

A boycott is a boycott. FFB.

No sense in giving up 99% of your life/values for the 1% need of a pot.

You can properly "Buffalo" all your trees without such sacrifice.

Sorce

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually, my small, dismal collection is mostly yard sale finds and the like. If I can ever get money saved up for real pots, I'll be spending most of it here.
Penumbra's stone age styles are amazing. Sorce's creations have almost as much character as their creator. His signature under his posts is his website. Pitoon is more to the conventional end, but impeccable craftsmanship. Others abound around here, but I'm less familiar with their stuff.
But frankly, I see no reason to find a pot anywhere but BNut at this point, except for those fun yard sale and thrift shop finds.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
You're right about Facebook. It's so not me. The antithesis of me.

The pots on Robert Hunter's website are beautiful! Many out of my price range but beautiful.

I'm new to bonsai. I bought a jade cassula bonsai at an outdoor market 10 years ago but treated it like a houseplant. I knew it needed to be repotted and I started watching youtube videos and soon I was staying up til all hours of the night reading about perched water tables and things I knew I needed to understand that before I bought anything else. I kept reading and watching videos and am finally ready to buy some starter plants.

I want to buy one 'good' tree that is something beautiful and try to make it even more beautiful and make it thrive. We have over 150 orchids and I've grown roses for a couple of decades so I know I can do it but I'm humbled by this art form. Very humbled. It's unlike anything I've undertaken before.

The jade cassula? It deserves an award. For surviving! I took it apart with all the materials at the ready to transplant and it had been planted in dirt. The roots didn't look like anything I'd seen in videos but it's thriving now.

I've been looking at indoor trees as I live in Florida in a house with wall to wall windows without screens. Lots of light! I've chosen Meehans Miniatures to buy a few starter plants and I think it was at Wigerts Bonsai that I found the tree I want to buy. I'll keep all the trees outdoors but I'll keep one tree indoors. My pet buffalo.

Thank you for your help with the pots but I had to share...Full disclosure, I'm new to this and I thank you for your help. I'm appreciative.

Katie

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
AWESOME!!! About loathing facebook!!!

I, as a social experiment, seeing the gradual decay of many cognitive and intuitive faculties of “the common person”, decided to “turn my back”/ignore/NOT utilize social media OR pop culture, OR anything but “word-of-mouth” news.

I started when my Oldest son was still in Utero, and never looked back.. he turns 11 this month.

Good for you!

🤓

;)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

The pots on Robert Hunter's website are beautiful! Many out of my price range but beautiful.

I'm new to bonsai. I bought a jade cassula bonsai at an outdoor market 10 years ago but treated it like a houseplant. I knew it needed to be repotted and I started watching youtube videos and soon I was staying up til all hours of the night reading about perched water tables and things I knew I needed to understand that before I bought anything else. I kept reading and watching videos and am finally ready to buy some starter plants.

I want to buy one 'good' tree that is something beautiful and try to make it even more beautiful and make it thrive. We have over 150 orchids and I've grown roses for a couple of decades so I know I can do it but I'm humbled by this art form. Very humbled. It's unlike anything I've undertaken before.

The jade cassula? It deserves an award. For surviving! I took it apart with all the materials at the ready to transplant and it had been planted in dirt. The roots didn't look like anything I'd seen in videos but it's thriving now.

I've been looking at indoor trees as I live in Florida in a house with wall to wall windows without screens. Lots of light! I've chosen Meehans Miniatures to buy a few starter plants and I think it was at Wigerts Bonsai that I found the tree I want to buy. I'll keep all the trees outdoors but I'll keep one tree indoors. My pet buffalo.

Thank you for your help with the pots but I had to share...Full disclosure, I'm new to this and I thank you for your help. I'm appreciative.

Katie
Meehans is GREAT!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh, hey, wait!

This is supposed to be where we say, "welcome to the forum," and berate you for not yet updating your profile with your location and/or USDA growing zone so that we have a clue what to you're talking about when we're talking about tree stuff.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Thanks a bunch! Katie
Welcome! Glazed pots hold water better than unglazed pots, so keep that in mind. This is also true of standard pots you can buy at Lowe's, Home Depot, or any nursery. A plain, traditional terracotta pot will need to be watered more regularly than a glazed or plastic/resin pot will, if all other factors are equal. It just has to do with the physical characteristics of porosity.

Usually (but certainly not always), "plain" looking bonsai pots are used for evergreens so as to look more natural and not take attention away from the green needles. Colorful glazed pots are (again, typically, but not always) used on deciduous trees that have vibrant leaf colors at different times of the year (such as Japanese maples), or on flowering species like azaleas.

Do you need a half-dozen bonsai pots for training, or for finished trees? If for training, then I've found that terracotta pots meant for bulbs can be easily found at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. They're more shallow and wide (which is better for bonsai), as opposed to tall and narrow. Unless you're doing a cascade style tree that is, in which case tall and narrow would be better.

If you think $28 for a 6 inch pot is crazy, you haven't seen nothing yet! A pot that size from a famous potter/company in Japan, China, Taiwan, etc. can easily cost several hundred dollars, and would definitely be best suited for a finished tree.

EDIT: Just saw you mention Wigert's in Ft. Myers. Their website will give you a good idea of how crazy pot prices can get!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B

Katie
Ahh man, I wish I had taken a trip to Wigert's when I was stationed in Savannah, GA while in the Army. Even if Bonsai as a hobby was out of the question for me at the time due to deployments and moving around.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Oh, hey, wait!

This is supposed to be where we say, "welcome to the forum," and berate you for not yet updating your profile with your location and/or USDA growing zone so that we have a clue what to you're talking about when we're talking about tree stuff.

Knock yourself out, if you're into berating people for being new to a forum.

I'm in Zone 9D and I will add that to my profile. I didn't expect to be posting already and I didn't expect everybody to be so nice!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I can't stand Facebook but I may have to create an account just to buy pots?
I just use my husband's account for the auctions. When I buy something, I just delete the conversation real quick.;) I haven't really bought any pots from there, just a few trees. My best pots have come from the the potters here that @HorseloverFat mentioned.

Top Bottom