Where do you store unused bonsai soil?

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I frequently load up on soil components from shows or when there are sales. I've been storing them in the original bags or in 5 gallon paint containers once sifted in my shed. They take up a decent amount of space though and I was thinking of keeping them sealed in the 5 gallon containers under my bonsai benches. They would be exposed to freeze thaw, but presumably there should be minimal moisture in a sealed container so I assume they will be fine.

What do you all do?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
….5 gallon buckets with poly lids for a good seal…

Best
DSD sends

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I frequently load up on soil components from shows or when there are sales. I've been storing them in the original bags or in 5 gallon paint containers once sifted in my shed. They take up a decent amount of space though and I was thinking of keeping them sealed in the 5 gallon containers under my bonsai benches. They would be exposed to freeze thaw, but presumably there should be minimal moisture in a sealed container so I assume they will be fine.

What do you all do?
Plastic Storage/ Transfer boxes that stack on top of each other with folding lids. They have air vents and are not rain proof so best kept indoors. Hold approximately 25 gallons volume. I tend to store based on particle size for effective use. One for drainage size particles of pumice. One for medium particle size of bonsai mix and one for small size particle bonsai mix. I use very little of large size so just make it up as I require it. I store the fines for seed and cutting propagation, discarding the dust. They are labeled with the name "BuckHorn" 21 by 15 by 12 inches high. Photos attached. Very durable with multi uses.

Attachments

• IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am kind of lucky where I can gather weathered pumice and volcanic cinder easily. I use old chicken feed bags for my gathering and storing after sorting out grain sizes.

Then they are all stored in the pump house/ tool shed with the mowers, plumbing supplies, fertilizers and other chemicals.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am kind of lucky where I can gather weathered pumice and volcanic cinder easily. I use old chicken feed bags for my gathering and storing after sorting out grain sizes.

Then they are all stored in the pump house/ tool shed with the mowers, plumbing supplies, fertilizers and other chemicals.
You sound like my kind of person.
Only with time on your hands.

That said, think I'll take the dog out tomorrow and get some decomposed granite.
Maybe another tree just for funsies.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Five gallon Home depot buckets, re-used or re-purposed sandbags...I keep the stuff indoors in storage closets in the basement

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Them square cat litter buckets with the half side open lids are dope. Not just because a 12pack fits in em so you can sneak a twelver into work, but because the lid and the squaredness.
More volume in squares!

No worries, I'll address the elephant.

Get more trees. TF.
Slacker.

Who stores dirt?

(Says the guy with his illegal compost heap in garbage cans in the garage!🤣)

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

One for akadama, one for lava, one for pumice, one for kanuma and one for miscellaneous odds and ends
Can stack them 3 high

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have 20gal of lava rock sitting in 5gal paint buckets. I should prob dump them to check for water from summer rains, lol

I’m not worried because it’s all landscape stuff so needs to be washed anyway. I need to get it at least rinsed and would like to put in some tubs for better storage

I have a 5# bag of pumice that sits closed on my patio. Have only used a little bit for testing water retention

Actually, one bucket of lava sprouted a seed. I’ll leave it to see what happens because it only gets water from rain, so wondering how it’ll do (they are in the shade of my wall all day)

Top Bottom