Where do you work on trees? Need ideas, inspiration for “studio”.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Who has a nice work area or studio? I have a pole barn with one stall and no horses. I’ve had a single bench for nearly twenty years, but last year I cleaned out an area I was using for storage and moved into that, adding more bench space. Then I put up new shelving for pots. My “adjustable height stand” consists of two stools of different sizes. I’d originally thought to put the work bench’s down the center like an island, then decided I wanted a clear center space for an eventual real adjustable floor stand for large/tall trees.

38DC9F4A-7518-41CF-AE42-790B09C31202.jpeg A521D178-5D5E-4E60-B830-9B026EDDE990.jpeg

I’m looking for pictures of what a good bonsai studio looks like. You don’t often see them. I can do anything I want with this, although it will never look more refined than a pole barn.

My barn is a treasured personal space and has seen me working on trees entire days at a time from sun up past sun down, sometimes into the small hours of the morning with just the owls, and raccoons in the hayloft, for company. Other than lack of heat, it is ideal.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A space where a tree is viewed at 3 times the greatest distance to height or width is
all that used or needed. Many of the efforts level off at 18 inches tall.

Then a simple turntable and a small box of tools. Oh yes a cushion to sit on the floor.

And that's it.
Good Day
Anthony

Turntable - and screen behind to take camera shots.

pouf.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If its nice outside, not too cold or too hot, Ill work on them out on the back deck.
If its not nice outside, I put my work stand in our TV room and watch a movie while working on trees

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As Sandy I work on the patio weather permitting, always a pleasure to be outside on a nice day. Earlier today though it was in the 30's and I had 7 Figs to up pot. I put a fine strainer in the kitchen sink and worked on the counter, easy clean up, etc... In the past when people bring trees it is usually during nice weather but when it rains I usually throw a shower curtain over the baking area, turntable, etc... I have two folding bar type stools that work out perfect for both areas inside.

Any space is good space to me, as long as I can keep things clean without a lot of effort.

Grimmy

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like your space. I would consider putting a turn table or bench in the middle so you can work and move around larger trees, and have tools and wire within reach on the existing perimeter benches.

I have a home office/studio that I work in, but always enjoy working outside. If it’s a tedious task like pulling needles or unwiring, I may bring a tree upstairs and work on it while the TV is on in the background.
E45C2703-50DA-4155-BF1B-D6143FF4EEB0.jpeg 02AFD8C6-C904-41E8-AFE6-026DEC9F3B78.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You should think about using a small section of it as a photo area. I have pull down shades in white and black behind mine, so it's easy to take a snap without having to set it all up. A light off to the side and top is really about all I use.
Nice space though, looks relaxing.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would also like to see some others indoor and outdoor spaces. Thank you for posting

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Some nice setups there. Velodog, in addition to the great suggestions above, I would add a directional light, like an engineer lamp for seeing into shaded areas of your trees. Your space has great potential.

Barry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Barry, WTF happened in there, the place is a wreck!

It was a wreck last October, a neighbors tree fell on my previous work area. Since I spend so much time out there I decided to set it up comfortably.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's one helluva blank slate!

Besides decor, or maybe a window.....

A rolly chair.

I would just work in there and understand where you need stuff.
Then put it all in!

And post pics!

Sorce

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I also work on mine outside, or in our den.
We now have a 13x24 sunroom, so that's a new option now too.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Well .... decor? Window?

The thing is ... I think I like it as it looks now. It is devoid of distractions. I can focus completely. I suppose I could put some pretty ... err inspirational pics on the walls. I should probably paint the raw wood on the shelves and under the benches black like the walls. That would look cool.

But I have enough space to make it more functional, although again just having my tools in a pile and wire more or less in other piles seems to work. It seems like I should make it better tho. I kept the center open for an adjustable height stand. I do need more light, which is what the two additional strip lights leaning agains the wall are for. The idea of a photo area is not bad, maybe not so big as Brian’s, who has a beautiful space. Barry’s setup is pretty also and more dedicated to working on trees obviously. It looks like it belongs in the keys. I like the magnetic tool holding strip. Prolly could use a cabinet of some sort for hiding lime sulfur, sphagnum moss, plastic sheeting, rooting hormone, etc. I think I’m going to build a low table for a potter’s wheel to the left of the shelves.

Anyway, keep posting, this is interesting and inspiring. I’m surprised at how many so far don’t have a dedicated space, although I suppose realistically not everyone has room.

Last edited:
Top Bottom