Where Does your Bonsai knowledge come from?

Where does your bonsai Knowledge/information come from?

• Books

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • Internet

Votes: 53 79.1%
  • Local Club

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Friends

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Teacher

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Magazines

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • Other (please motivate)

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters

AndyWilson

Mame
Reaction score
I was thinking about the efficacy of various sources of knowledge and information within the field of bonsai. It got me wondering, where does your bonsai knowledge come from?

How do you rate the various sources of information and why?

Has your source of information changed as you've grown over the years?

Mulitple options avaliable!

EDIT- by 'friends' i mean friends outside the clubs or internet.
And by 'teacher' i mean someone who offers formal lessons, usually paid for.
also note that i should have included workshops and demos...

Last edited:

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have the say 'all of above'. The hands on experience of instruction and workshops have been the most valuable but does not exclude the value of all others.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I didn't go all the above, most of them though. For other instead of teacher I have had workshops with many traveling meastro's, go to anothers home from time to time, as well as sat in on many demo's. Didn't choose friends although I consider many of the club members as friends.

I'm the type that collects information, process it, and go with what makes the most sense to me. After that it's a case of remembering what worked in what situation, this way I can only blame myself for results I don't care for, hopefully learn from those situations.

The net is good for gathering infornation, but you have to be able to sift thru the chaffe to get the good kernels of info, I feel I can separate the cream when it rises to the top. I am an engineer by trade so I have a tendency to look to find whats wrong with a given, and figure out a way to fix it or do it better.( Yes I know this makes the mars venus thing tough).

You have to be able to read between the lines on almost any of the choices, because there are so many variables for all bonsai situations. Look at the possabilities, and choose the route that makes the most sense, and don't second guess yourself. If you think before doing things, most often the gut feel you use is the right way to go, operative words being "think before"

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't go for all of the above. I never got much from the local club and they are still focused on old ways and simplistic things. I neglected to choose "magazines" although I have every Bonsai Today up to about 100 or so, and the first 15 years of International Bonsai, which I find the most in-depth of all printed materials.

Most of my knowledge in the last few years has been imparted by my teacher, although you could also classify that as "friends."

And I learn something from the internet almost daily.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I wish I had friends, clubs and such here in Vegas. It seems that not many are willing to try it here. :-( So Books, you all and my all time favorite, experience...

Reaction score
I see books as a way to get some basic information. Workshops are a great way to look at different ways people work. But I learn best by doing, so I would say experience. Surly not everyone takes everything that is written in a book or magazine, or even here as gospel, but they try it for them selves and make their own decisions on it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You get your information where ever you can find it, that's the bottom line. I was fortunate to have a teacher from 1963-65. Before and since it has come from books, magazines and occasionally from a club.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You get your information where ever you can find it, that's the bottom line. I was fortunate to have a teacher from 1963-65. Before and since it has come from books, magazines and occasionally from a club.

Don't neglect your own experimentation with mughos, Vance. That's hard-won knowledge that flew in the face of the books and club members.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Besides various dreams, visions, and occasional flashbacks, I had to choose all of the above. ;)

Will

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Don't neglect your own experimentation with mughos, Vance. That's hard-won knowledge that flew in the face of the books and club members.

That's true I suppose, that is the other great resource; experimentation and the results it brings even if it flys in the face of traditional wisdom. Thanks for reminding me.

Top Bottom