Where has every one gone?

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
that place gives me cancer and I LOVE reddit. I will admit I haven't visited in a while, but when I was active, it was nothing but trolls.

Edit: I was referring to r/bonsai (Reddit) but the quote didn't make it in my post. Sorry for the confusion.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Blew Tang out of my nose when I read that.

Thats the internet for ya....everyone's a pro now. It shows too. I notice it in all the pictures of the trees I see here lately:confused:
"Everyone" can't possibly include me. I am a newbie with sticks in pots mostly. Hopefully I'll get something worth showing off in the next few years.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
It seems I'm good for something.

Well I've been a bit busy. I moved my home and entire garden - holy crapola! It's been a nightmare plus I was in Tennessee @ Bjorns two weekends in March and taking trees back and forth to there as well. Plus I'm putting on our club exhibit in about a week. So I've got about 2/3 of my stuff setup at the new place - 360° of work in progress. Lots to do yet. The blue is going as well haha.

20190401_172846.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
@Vance Wood I too have a mugo tree that I'm going to dig out probably in August. I'd appreciate any advice you have about the process. I'll grab a pic from yamadori land (my front garden) when I've had a brew if you are interested :)
I'm interested.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I miss comments from some of the more experienced members who have left the site over the years. Dorothy, Victrina, and John G come to mind.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mugo pine - about 24 inches high. Best pic I could get @Vance Wood - so bright I can't see the screen!

Attachments

• IMG_20190419_130840.jpg
    IMG_20190419_130840.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 50

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Mugo pine - about 24 inches high. Best pic I could get @Vance Wood - so bright I can't see the screen!
Come on Paul, bend the knees or get down on the ground and give us a proper look at the trunk and main branches. How do you expect to get sensible advice from a shot like that? Meaningful advice from the experts here is surely worth just a tiny modicum of effort on your part?:(

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm sorry to hear that. Any idea why they died?
This was my first year at my new place, which is roughly 50 miles north of where I used to live. I'm up on a ridge line now, much more sun exposure and much more wind.
This winter was very cold at my house, I had some trees outside under my back porch protected by a wind break, and some in my garage. The ones in the garage were still freezing solid and thawing out repeatedly, it would get down to 19F degrees in there, and then be in the mid-40s the next day. I think the ones under the porch also experienced many freeze-thaw cycles, and they were probably too wet over the winter as well. But all hope is not lost yet. I did a scratch test on a couple of the trees that I thought were dead yesterday, and they're still green underneath. So they might bounce back, we'll see.

I'm going to have to probably bury all the trees under the porch behind the windbreak and forget about utilizing the garage or having any of them above ground, so to speak. I'll probably dig a shallow trench put the pots down in there, and then cover them up with mulch is best I can next winter.

Lost a mugo, 2 junipers, a trident, half of a Hornbeam....and I have 3 azaleas, a crabapple, my crape myrtle and 4 yews all teetering.

Some of the trees came through winter just fine though....such is life.
I probably needed to thin the herd a little bit anyway.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This was my first year at my new place, which is roughly 50 miles north of where I used to live. I'm up on a ridge line now, much more sun exposure and much more wind.
This winter was very cold at my house, I had some trees outside under my back porch protected by a wind break, and some in my garage. The ones in the garage were still freezing solid and thawing out repeatedly, it would get down to 19F degrees in there, and then be in the mid-40s the next day. I think the ones under the porch also experienced many freeze-thaw cycles, and they were probably too wet over the winter as well. But all hope is not lost yet. I did a scratch test on a couple of the trees that I thought were dead yesterday, and they're still green underneath. So they might bounce back, we'll see.

I'm going to have to probably bury all the trees under the porch behind the windbreak and forget about utilizing the garage or having any of them above ground, so to speak. I'll probably dig a shallow trench put the pots down in there, and then cover them up with mulch is best I can next winter.

Lost a mugo, 2 junipers, a trident, half of a Hornbeam....and I have 3 azaleas, a crabapple, my crape myrtle and 4 yews all teetering.

Some of the trees came through winter just fine though....such is life.
I probably needed to thin the herd a little bit anyway.
Sorry to hear that. There have been a few members that have sustained devastating losses over the years. You'll bounce back like they did! Wishing you the best :)

Top Bottom