Where is a good place to find a crab apple bonsai in southern California?

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pomegranate, Eugenia or Bougainvillea (mentioned above as bougie) may all be good options as well. It sounds like they are avid gardeners so I see no problem with a crab apple and maybe a nice bonsai how-to book to go along with it.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi everybody, Kiani,
Check out Green Thumb nursery in Lake Forest, near El Toro and the 5 freeway. Last weekend they had a ton of flowering crabapples of most colors in 5 gallon sizes. They are about 5 feet tall , grafted trees. They are spectacular. Take some pics when you go there and get people here jealous.
I actually was selling some crabapples bonsai on Craigslist last month. Still have a few nice ones left but they are not for sale now. Enjoying the flowers myself first.
Good luck!
Si Nguyen

togishi

Sapling
Reaction score
As someone else mentioned, a Bougainvillea would be a good choice in our climate also. I actually purchased my biggest one through House of Bonsai (they were acting as a broker for another artist). I saw the trunk which is about 4 inches at the base, and couldn't resist. I've had to do a lot of work on it, and still along ways to go, but it recovers extremely well in our area.

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
The second photo image you have posted is "Malus Halliana" crab apple - which is owned by Walter Pall I believe. So you have set the bar quite high for yourself. This was imported material if I recall and he spent many years re-growing all of the branches. It is probably one of the best examples of a crab apple that you will ever find - even though you will probably never find another trunk quite as good. The price range you are looking at and the example you have selected are miles apart. I say this only so your expectations are tempered a bit. You can find a decent trunk for $200 I am sure - but nothing like the example you have offered up. If you have time and patience why not buy a few and grow them out. Good luck ...Tom

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heck you could always go and "borrow" Brian underwoods crabapple tree. :p He has a great one he collected, its in the fruiting section here at B-nut and he lives in Santa Rosa and although I have no idea where that is at it sounds like southern too me. Seriously though, I assume he collected it in California, there may be somewhere you could find them for sale if they grow there.

ed

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The House of Bonsai has great trunks for digging (I dug a few, mystelf), but that will not help you much if you are a total beginner. Also, you won't see the pretty flowers this spring, since you will have to cut off all the branches.
But they have a large selection of great starter material, so I'd check them out if I were you.

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The second photo image you have posted is "Malus Halliana" crab apple - which is owned by Walter Pall I believe. So you have set the bar quite high for yourself. This was imported material if I recall and he spent many years re-growing all of the branches. It is probably one of the best examples of a crab apple that you will ever find - even though you will probably never find another trunk quite as good. The price range you are looking at and the example you have selected are miles apart. I say this only so your expectations are tempered a bit. You can find a decent trunk for $200 I am sure - but nothing like the example you have offered up. If you have time and patience why not buy a few and grow them out. Good luck ...Tom

That's what I thought...Walter's tree. I was amused, when you said "hey, this is exactly the tree I'd like to have".
Nothing wrong with using Walter's finished trees as starter material, but as a beginner, you may want to start a little lower on the totem pole.:)

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess Ryan has set the bar so high we are now using Walter's trees for starter material.

Wow! What will 2013 bring?

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Guys I'm about to leave for house of bonsai, can you give me some idea of what is the best crabapple bonsai to look for and how it will look around this time of year?

Should I be looking for a good trunk without much thought for foliage and flowers? Spring is almost here and I'm not sure exactly what 'state' the crabapple should be in when I pick one.

Thank you

togishi

Sapling
Reaction score
Nice, I just actually left House of Bonsai, Vicky there is really helpful. You can probably ask her and she can point you in the right direction as well as to where to start.

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
And viola! $160, dug up from the back at house of bonsai. What do you guys think? Vicky said just water it twice a week, once a week with vitamins, and spring flowers should bloom in around 2 months.

Is more branch reduction necessary or should I leave it be for now?

6ohawh.jpg

Last edited:

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
2 questions if I may, first, fill the tree suffer if left like this over night until I go buy some root cutters in the morning?

1. It is already suffered a pretty horrific day. Don't you think?
2. What did they use at House of Bonsai? Something special or just some pruners and a saw?

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
1. It is already suffered a pretty horrific day. Don't you think?
2. What did they use at House of Bonsai? Something special or just some pruners and a saw?

Hi Randy, got it sorted after getting the right tools. They just used a bigger root cutter that made it look very easy.

Top Bottom