Where is a good place to find a crab apple bonsai in southern California?

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm looking for a crab apple bonsai tree for my dad. Does anyone know how expensive these beautiful little trees are and where I might find one in southern Cali? Thanks.

1182321995dd7SZf.jpg

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
To my understanding the tree will need a minimum number of chill hours depending on type to set fruit. Might not bloom if you don't get the minimum amount. Which makes me very sad because I really enjoy them and mine has yet to bloom when it probably should have.

But that doesn't mean you should not try because each cultivar is different. As for location that might be tough consider what I explained above.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Although Southern Calfornians might chime in here. I think most apples (malus species), crab and otherwise, require winter cold to survive long term. They don't do very well in milder climates above Zone 8 or so.

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I really hope it's possible to keep them in southern California's climate, I'd love to buy them something like this for their anniversary, look how beautiful this is. wow!

dscn7866g.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope you're successful in your quest.

From the former owner of an apple bonsai--getting huge crops of blossoms takes some knowledge and skill, depending upon which cultivar you're dealing with. Some apples simply won't bloom in containers, others will but only with precise pruning done at the correct time--it has to do with building up flower spurs on branches. Some cultivars flower whatever you do, though. Those might not be hardy in your area, however. Some that do produce flowers also produce tons of fruit, which, if not thinned, can literally overtax the tree, weakening it and eventually killing it.

In short, getting this kind of blossom explosion is not as easy as it would seem...

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are plenty of varieties that do pretty well here in L.A. Bonsai nurseries have them all over the place. Young trees are cheap.
But the trunks that you are showing in those pictures get quite expensive very fast. They can cost a small fortune. Crab apple is not like trident maple. It takes a long time to get a big trunk. Some grafted varieties grow faster. The key with those grafted ones, is to have a perfect and very low graft. But if well done, they look great, and you don't have to wait 20 years to grow a decent trunk.

Regarding the price, a tree that looks like those in your pictures, and of similar size, would fetch at least $1000, and possibly two of three times more, depending of the quality and detailed features. A raw trunk, that has no branches, would cost you a few hundred dollars. But then you need to spend at least 5 years, developing the branches, if you know how to do it.

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was going to say what Attila said, the trees you show would cost in the several hundreds. Do they practice bonsai now? Giving a bonsai is like buying someone a pet, you have to be sure they want it, and can take care if it.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You could expect to pay between $300 and $600 for trees like those, and like Bill said, if your father is not an experienced bonsaiest, that's likely to be money down the drain.

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks everyone for the input. I am a novice myself and my parents know even less than me, so it seems like this is not the right tree for them, as beautiful as it looks.

Can you guys recommend any bonsai similar to crab apple that isn't as expensive and difficult to maintain, but blossoms in the spring and has flowers?

Thank you again.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You cant really give some one a bonsai who's not into them. As mentioned above, like a pet. Buy them a house plant, there are some very cool ones that are almost like bonsai, flowering and have seasons. Then again they'll have to be into plants.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Giving a bonsai is like buying someone a pet, you have to be sure they want it, and can take care if it.

That's very true.
A friend of mine bought a large and colorful Amazon parrot from a shelter, to a family member. It was great, until the bird has almost bitten off the finger of the new owner...not once, but three times.
Then it was back to the shelter again.

Well, a bonsai doesn't bite your finger, but it can bite you in the pocket...if you just waste the money. It can also become the proverbial white elephant, a gift from the king of Siam: you don't know what to do with it, but you can't get rid of it, because if you do, that would be a major insult to the king. It's basically a punishment in disguise.

Last edited:

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I hear what you guys are saying. My parents already have a love for gardening and have many plants, including a beautiful Chinese elm bonsai they picked up from a nursery with me one day. They have a deep love and appreciation for nature and plants as a whole, despite their limited bonsai knowledge.

I'm just trying to find the right flowering bonsai for them for under $200. The crab apple definitely caught my eye, but I guess from what I've read here, it takes a LOT of work to get it to flourish like the pics above, not to mention it sounds like these species of tree can be quite expensive.

I'll keep looking :)

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you have your mind set on a flowering bonsai, how about an azalea like this one? They're a little easier to take care of, and easier to come by. BTW this is a very reputable seller with excellent material. A kurume variety might be even better with its smaller and more profuse flowers, but they tend to have smaller trunks (which I assume would be ok in this instance).

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go to House of Bonsai in Lakewood.

Ask Vicky to take you in the golf cart to the back of the property to "DIG" a crabapple. There is still time. You can find some nearly like that photo in the pot and it will not be $200.00.

Don't hesitate or you will not get one this year.

Her name is Vicky Lee. Very nice lady.

togishi

Sapling
Reaction score
House of Bonsai may have some as the pervious said, I was just there yesterday, but wasn't looking for that particular tree. She's just moved a ton of Maples into the shaded area in front right now. Also you can try San Gabriel Nursery (sgnursery.com), they tend to have a lot of nice material, and a ton of fairly elder bonsai there as well. If all else fails, I would try calling Chikugo-en in Gardena, albeit I only remember the massive amount of Shimpaku's there (that looked great btw).

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is something very satisfying about digging one out of the ground and training it. However, if you're looking for a present for Saturday night's party, there are probably better options.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm just trying to find the right flowering bonsai for them for under $200.

consider an azalea .... NOT a satsuki but some other variety that can appreciate Orange County? Actually in that case a bougie is a great option... they LOVE the sun and heat ... plus you guys already have em wild out that way .... Pyracantha are another good option... flowers and fruit

all of those are pretty much guaranteed to be good bloomers

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Lots of good advice above. Since the day is quickly approaching, my suggestion is to visit a few local bonsai nurseries and find something that is currently blooming, in a bonsai pot and looks nice in general. You don't want to give them too much of a project, but it sounds like they can keep a potted plant alive. They're not bonsai snobs, so you don't need to necessarily look for something with a big trunk with serious movement. Bougainvillea is a good suggestion, as are some azaleas. If you can look around a little, I'm sure you can find something that they'll be very happy to receive within your $200 budget.

Good luck! I like your idea of giving a plant as a gift.

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Wow, I knew there was a good reason why I joined this forum, so much useful info. Thank you!

Smoke, I've met vicky, very nice lady. Are you serious? They have crab apples with trunks like the pics for under $200? That would be excellent. I'll post pics of whatever I find tomorrow.

Top Bottom