"Where My Bonsai Are"

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
To steal from my daughters new favorite book, "Where the Wild Things Are" :)...she likes my new "tree deck"... and she likes to help water:)
So, I needed more space, more sun and generally a place where most of my trees could live:)
I had some material.
A big Euchalyptus came down and ...Voila!
The work began last spring...it's still not "done"...ever evolving, but it works!
There are some minor wood details and ground cover to finish. I'm also working on the final pieces of the watering system. I only use it when I go out of town, but so far it is great. I just need to put in some overhead misters for later in the day.
Enjoy...

Attachments

• shrine 4.jpg
    shrine 4.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 133
  • shrine 5.jpg
    shrine 5.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 167
  • shrine 1.jpg
    shrine 1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 176
  • shrine 2.jpg
    shrine 2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 192

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That thing is way to rickety! You'd be better off finding someone to take a few of those trees off your hands so you don't have to worry with them anymore. I have some free space and don't mind helping you out. :D

Really though, that is very nice! What kind of wood did you use for the decking? Redwood is my guess but whatever it is it goes very well with the black framing. Nice work!

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Thanks Vin. I used Redwood. The "black" sub structure are gluelams I had from a job awhile back...they don't do well outside so I painted them with Henry's emulsion...it seems to be holding up, we'll see:).
I don't have quite the collection as Dario, but plenty for 3 years worth:)
I'm reloading some pics as the sizing is off...
I'm also including a pic of my new turntable I "fit" into my old potting table. I got the idea for the turntable from PWK5017...thanks brother:)

Attachments

• shrine 1a.jpg
    shrine 1a.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 84
  • shrine 1b.jpg
    shrine 1b.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 81
  • shrine 1c.jpg
    shrine 1c.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 83
  • turn table.jpg
    turn table.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 88

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I would think about cold roll tar on those glue lam beams.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Cool set-up. I really like your training boxes. Is that trim molding on top or ??? Really makes them look super nice. I have a habit of keeping everything in perpetual 'training'...so something more visually appealing might get me some bonus points with the wiff.

carobone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I just need to put in some overhead misters for later in the day.
Enjoy...

Fraser, looks great. I too in the process of installing a misters/spray system for use when I'm away and would be interested in learning what system you decide to go with

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Fraser, looks great. I too in the process of installing a misters/spray system for use when I'm away and would be interested in learning what system you decide to go with

I'm using Melnor timers (Home Depot, battery operated), with a 1/2" drip connection off a hose bib. Then tap into that line with 1/4". Connections are easy and they have all kinds of emitters...everything from Home Depot. There are other systems available...this works for me.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Cool set-up. I really like your training boxes. Is that trim molding on top or ??? Really makes them look super nice. I have a habit of keeping everything in perpetual 'training'...so something more visually appealing might get me some bonus points with the wiff.

All one piece. I dadoed out the detail on top. Looks nice, but also acts as a handle:). Iput 1/4" screen on the bottom for great drainage. I use 3/8" pumice and akadama as a drainage layer...doesn't fall through.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really like your set up...love the architecture details you did in the back wall...sort of like a partial pergola. Not sure what you would call it. But really a sweet added detail.

typoolVT

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Soo where did you find your turntable?? I've been looking in thrift shops forever... The bottom part of it, that is...

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Someone is selling these here for ?$190?. Sorry can't remember who. Do a search, it's rel. new post.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I really like your set up...love the architecture details you did in the back wall...sort of like a partial pergola. Not sure what you would call it. But really a sweet added detail.

That would be a Japanese style Arbor. With possibly Bamboo wind chimes? The pics are a little small for me to get detailed but I agree it is a very nice layout.

Grimmy

Last edited:

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Soo where did you find your turntable?? I've been looking in thrift shops forever... The bottom part of it, that is...

There have been a couple of these turning yp on this forum...it was suggested that I look at beauty supply vendors. I found this on Ebay for less than $100. I made the top. It works great!! Good luck

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
That would be a Japanese style Arbor. With possibly Bamboo wind chimes? The pics are a little small for me to get detailed but I agree it is a very nice layout.

Grimmy

I had some left over bamboo laying around and always wanted to incorporate a Japanese "Torii" Gate in the yard somehow. I combined the two and...well, this is it:) My wife calls it "the shrine" lol

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had some left over bamboo laying around and always wanted to incorporate a Japanese "Torii" Gate in the yard somehow. I combined the two and...well, this is it:) My wife calls it "the shrine" lol

Well she is not far off, lol. A Torii gate marks the approach and entrance to a Shinto shrine. It is the division between the physical and spiritual worlds. The bamboo has different "effects" in Feng Shui depending on what direction it faces. Looks to me you need to add a sekimori ishi = (boundary-guard stone) now!

Grimmy

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Thanks Vin. I used Redwood. The "black" sub structure are gluelams I had from a job awhile back...they don't do well outside so I painted them with Henry's emulsion...it seems to be holding up, we'll see:).
I don't have quite the collection as Dario, but plenty for 3 years worth:)
I'm reloading some pics as the sizing is off...
I'm also including a pic of my new turntable I "fit" into my old potting table. I got the idea for the turntable from PWK5017...thanks brother:)

Looks great! I thought we had a deal where you were going to share pictures with me when you finished? I have to find out publically with the rest of the community?

The deck looks good. Im looking into tearing down an old deck and building a new one on the property I renovated last year. I am pretty smitten with the tropical hardwoods--Ipe, cumara, Brazilian redwood. I know this is brand new, but what treatment program is recommended for redwood? Does it hold up well over the years?

Patrick

Top Bottom