Where online to get different native Japanese bonsai material/seeds

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, mailorder. I knew the pflanzmich source. But there you cannot look at them.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
OK, mailorder. I knew the pflanzmich source. But there you cannot look at them.
From what I've seen these mail order cuttings look more or less the same. Some garden centers have a bunch of them in spring to look at in real life.
If I ever find them for cheaps, I'll snap some pics and let you know.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
When I got them two years ago, they were 6,45. They flowered in the first year, I layered two branches off, and they've been green and leafless ever since (this entire year).
Don't tell the rest of the bonsai community. Just tell them you have 'a source'. ;-)

Intratuin has them too, not the beni chi dori, but pinkish ones. I found one with a 5cm diameter base for 15 euros in the neglected corner. I didn't buy it though.
Is there a way to bypass the German, can’t read it to order

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You really want to order plants for the USA from Germany, and deal with all the paperwork & quarantine requirements? SEEMS like there is no english version site, but there is a contact: https://www.pflanzmich.com/?language=en

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
On the bottom of the wbsite (on mobile) there's a flag, if you click it, it'll show 'international' which leads you to pflanzmich.com.
That website is in English - with some poor google translations.
But Leatherback is right with his warning.. You kind of don't want to ship plants to the US from Europe without the proper paperwork all set up.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
On the bottom of the wbsite (on mobile) there's a flag, if you click it, it'll show 'international' which leads you to pflanzmich.com.
That website is in English - with some poor google translations.
But Leatherback is right with his warning.. You kind of don't want to ship plants to the US from Europe without the proper paperwork all set up.
Got ya, what about soil substrates? Prob not right?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks bud, saved me from stress
Seedlings--most of Matt Ouwinga's (he's the site owner) is grown using seeds from Japan. If you're after prunus mume, you're not alone. They are scarce and usually gone in 60 seconds or less.

Superfly bonsai in Pa. has Japanese substrates and American substrates and mixes. And yes, it goes quickly as well. Supply chain issues have put a wrench into things the last couple of years. If you look around there are still sources in the U.S. for all of this stuff.

Importing from Europe is just as big of a hassle as importing from Asia, avoid it, it's not necessary.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Seedlings--most of Matt Ouwinga's (he's the site owner) is grown using seeds from Japan. If you're after prunus mume, you're not alone. They are scarce and usually gone in 60 seconds or less.

Superfly bonsai in Pa. has Japanese substrates and American substrates and mixes.

Importing from Europe is just as big of a hassle as importing from Asia, avoid it, it's not necessary.
Akadama sold out. And so it kanuma. The 2 substrates im looking for.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Akadama sold out. And so it kanuma. The 2 substrates im looking for.
Yep. Had the same issue in the spring. Had to look hard for Kanuma especially the grain size I was looking for. Check Etsy--Calibonsai has both KAnuma and Akadama listed.

Stone Lantern as well, but has only small grained Kanuma

You can sometimes get it on Amazon too.

Bonsai learning Center in N.Carolina has some.

I don't know what you're working with, but 16 L of Kanuma is A LOT of kanuma...

Last edited:

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yep. Had the same issue in the spring. Had to look hard for Kanuma especially the grain size I was looking for. Check Etsy--Calibonsai has both KAnuma and Akadama listed.

Stone Lantern as well, but has only small grained Kanuma

You can sometimes get it on Amazon too.

Bonsai learning Center in N.Carolina has some.

I don't know what you're working with, but 16 L of Kanuma is A LOT of kanuma...
That will work I’ll have to make a drive that way in couple week. Kind of want to visit John at green thumb too

Top Bottom