Where to begin on a BRT cutting

MikeInFLA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
A while ago I started a few BRT cuttings. They're doing well so far but I'm not sure about encouraging new growth. It seems obvious that if I only have one branch that it's the one to cut but I'd rather not screw it up. Can I screw it up? Cut 1/2? Most? A little? FYI they're outside but it's winter in south Florida. It's currently 81 degrees and the low tonight is 70 so I wouldn't think weather would change things much. Also, Happy New Year!

BRT1122.jpg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I let my little cuttings like that grow until they can’t stand up. Thicken the trunk.
1641049535070.jpeg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I got that cutting to strike in May 2020. The above picture is October 2020. This video is about a week ago.

First day of winter with a tornado watch?!? Brazilian Rain Tree pruned. Chloroleucon tortum

MikeInFLA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Nice video. Good to see someone go at it like that. I'm pretty new at this (only about 2 years) so I'm still having trouble with aggressive cuts. I've got another BRT I've had for a couple of years I need to work on but I'm still wrapping my head around it.
BRT2.jpg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I got a seed kit Christmas 2018 for my intro to the hobby. So I'm just heading into my 3rd year. I always look at cuttings as free material to experiment with. Haven't lost any BRTs yet. If you're in Zone 10, what ever you prune now will be exploding with new growth by February.

Millard B.

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A while ago I started a few BRT cuttings. They're doing well so far but I'm not sure about encouraging new growth. It seems obvious that if I only have one branch that it's the one to cut but I'd rather not screw it up. Can I screw it up? Cut 1/2? Most? A little? FYI they're outside but it's winter in south Florida. It's currently 81 degrees and the low tonight is 70 so I wouldn't think weather would change things much. Also, Happy New Year!

View attachment 414139

Top Bottom