Where to Begin the Initial Style of Material?

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
To be honest if you made a 5 part video and totally fucked it up right at the end of part 5 somehow... people watching will learn just as much from the whole experience as if you absolutely nailed it all the way through. So long as you explain how you've messed up and potential ways to rectify it over time, that is just as valuable knowledge.
I don't think there is anyone who can create a masterpiece out of every attempt, or go through years of work and not lose a tree or see mistakes made in hindsight, that's the same in any hobby or profession.

Takes some balls to record yourself doing something you love and share it with potentially the whole world, the internet can be a savage place lol.

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Also when I was about 13 Motorhead and Iron maiden were the first bands I discovered outside of regular pop on the radio which really hit me. Defined who I was for years, and they were the first band I ever saw live in my home city, unforgettable!

Hell your video was the first time I've head any Motorhead in a llooong time, I listened to so much heavy metal for so long it took ages before I started discovering new tastes. Think I'll crack some on and revisit my teens hah!

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Man... I totally appreciate the compliment! But keep that "Grandmaster" stuff to yourself!
Lol!
:p

We already have way to many "Grandmasters" in Bonsai claiming to do stuff that anyone can learn to do... as it is!

Next thing you know, everyone will start offering up "Teired" platforms... and telling people what they can and cannot do, and use in Bonsai.

Next video will be up shortly!

I'm sure we can figure out some other stuff to call ya Stacy... ;-)

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Sweet end result man!!
I've got a taxus sat outside my back door I grabbed in a bargain area which I haven't had time to play with yet. If it doesn't turn into a shit show I may share my work :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Sweet end result man!!
I've got a taxus sat outside my back door I grabbed in a bargain area which I haven't had time to play with yet. If it doesn't turn into a shit show I may share my work :rolleyes:
Nice final image! Definitely a mountain tree!
Thanks, I appreciate the compliments!

Have already started working on editing the next video.

It is another juniper... but this one is a Parsonii with a ton of issues to solve.

I will be demonstrating the process of how to design a whole tree, off of a single branch... should be interesting.

Reaction score
tmp_9600-beforeafter-1829254209.jpg

tmp_9600-finial1177555407.jpg

Now that some folks have managed to see the video... I thought I would share the end result photos.

Also, currently working on more videos...

Any suggestions for improvements on how the videos are done, or what people would like keep to see more of... are always welcomed!

Still trying to figure out a really nice formula for doing them... and one that works with an already tight scedule.

Not quite sure if people would prefer a discussion within the actual video... or just crank out the jams and see me work?
Let me know what you think...
Thanks again!

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 138634

View attachment 138635

Now that some folks have managed to see the video... I thought I would share the end result photos.

Also, currently working on more videos...

Any suggestions for improvements on how the videos are done, or what people would like keep to see more of... are always welcomed!

Still trying to figure out a really nice formula for doing them... and one that works with an already tight scedule.

Not quite sure if people would prefer a discussion within the actual video... or just crank out the jams and see me work?
Let me know what you think...
Thanks again!

Nice work. I'm always a sucker for just watching people work on trees, so the way you did this one works great. I even didn't have time to watch the whole thing when you posted it, but appreciated the ability to fast forward to certain parts and still hear you talking about what you were doing. If you were to edit it down, it would take you longer, and remove the ability for people to pick and choose what parts they wanted to focus on. I plan on going back when I have a less busy week and re-watching the entire thing. So, yes, more please. =)

It's always cool to see a challenging part, and then hear the artist walk through the logic of what they're doing as they're doing it.

And you may have covered this, so feel free to point me to a particular point in one of the videos, but what was your thought on the apex? Did you leave it long to encourage it to fill in before further reducing it? I could almost imagine just snipping the whole top branch back to the obvious canopy, but I could also see it being interesting if it filled in more, and raised the canopy line up a few inches.

Just curious to know where you see that going.

Very nice tree.

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great way to pass some slow time at work! Thank you for taking the time to do it. One more for my list to get thanks! Lol

Reaction score
Nice work. I'm always a sucker for just watching people work on trees, so the way you did this one works great. I even didn't have time to watch the whole thing when you posted it, but appreciated the ability to fast forward to certain parts and still hear you talking about what you were doing. If you were to edit it down, it would take you longer, and remove the ability for people to pick and choose what parts they wanted to focus on. I plan on going back when I have a less busy week and re-watching the entire thing. So, yes, more please. =)

It's always cool to see a challenging part, and then hear the artist walk through the logic of what they're doing as they're doing it.

And you may have covered this, so feel free to point me to a particular point in one of the videos, but what was your thought on the apex? Did you leave it long to encourage it to fill in before further reducing it? I could almost imagine just snipping the whole top branch back to the obvious canopy, but I could also see it being interesting if it filled in more, and raised the canopy line up a few inches.

Just curious to know where you see that going.

Very nice tree.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

Reason for me asking what people would prefer... is that it is hard often trying to obviously interpret this... because, I too if I had my choice would rather just crank the music and just film me working!

After going through and seeing where the most "views" are for the various videos I have done... they seem to be pointing more at the videos that were just me doing the work, without all the lecture, so to speak behind them.

Ijust wasn't sure if it was due to perhaps the subject, in this case being a juniper... verses other types of trees... or just due to the lecture. The last thing I would want to do, obviously is lecture at people! especially if they are not interested! I want the videos to be fun, and want people to watch them.

As far as your question... yes I could of reduced the height. Would not of been a problem. But, this area actually help demonstrate in the video, what could possibly be done with a very difficult section of the trunk, and how to go about dealing with... or creating other avenues to venture down, other than just the removal.

Often, we run into areas within a trunk with multiple branching coming out of one spot, bad taper issues, etc. That normally one might think the only option is to remove... hopefully, the video showed there is always multiple options.

I threw up a leader, to let it grow out, to resolve a taper issue at the top of the trunk. After this grows out... I would then cut it back to the first or second set of branching and make the tree not any higher. Foemina are very apex driven... so, more than likely I will be able to cut it come next spring, and begin to finish of the top of the tree. I could cut it now... just would take longer to resolve.

The goal is... that you would see the shari and jin stop at the top in a negative open space... then the apex would be just above.

Last edited:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Let me know what you think...
Thanks again!
I think your way of doing the videos is very good. The narrative is indispensable to my opinion. Watching you work and hearing you reasoning what you are doing!
And although you have the american accent you are quite well understood by people like me to whom English is not mother language...

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leave the lecture in my opinion. What we do with our trees depends on our reasons for doing it. There is plenty out there of people just working on trees. If we know why you do what you do, we are more likely to create and share our own methods.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Leave the lecture in my opinion. What we do with our trees depends on our reasons for doing it. There is plenty out there of people just working on trees. If we know why you do what you do, we are more likely to create and share our own methods.
There is only one problem with that way of thinking if I understand what you just wrote: What if what you do is totally off the wall and corrupt? Sometimes it helps to listen before you reject something, especially if you don't have a clue what you are doing other than listening to your own imagination.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is only one problem with that way of thinking if I understand what you just wrote: What if what you do is totally off the wall and corrupt? Sometimes it helps to listen before you reject something, especially if you don't have a clue what you are doing other than listening to your own imagination.
Sorry what I said was poorly written. I just meant that if I follow the thinking of someone who is working on their trees helps me to see the relevance of their methods to my own trees. If I'm just watching them style their tree that relevance might be lost on me. I know you believe that we ought to place more of a premium on the opinions of those with experience than we often do, but there has to be room for some well reasoned innovation. You've done your own share of that, Vance, as you are the main reason we take mugo pines seriously as bonsai material in North America.

Top Bottom