Where to begin with styling

yaxet

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello, recently I received a Chinese elm for a birthday gift, since then I have spent the past few days reading everything I can about the care and upkeep of bonsai trees, including the challenges and requirements of growing them indoors. However this hardly makes me an expert on the subject, and I certainly dont have any actual experience, which is why I am coming here for help. I know its challenging, but after my research, I found the windswept or slant styles to be most appealing, but I am not sure if the shape of the tree supports that. Also in regards to foliage, I read that 30% is the max you can trim in one go, but it looks like he might have been trimmed already. Anyways I would appreciate any advice you guys can give me, and thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20140326_081722_136.jpg
    IMG_20140326_081722_136.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20140326_081747_171.jpg
    IMG_20140326_081747_171.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 66

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to B-Nut. Please update your profile where you are.

Elms usually can be trimmed hard...I've trimmed mine w/o leaving any leaves (not Chinese though). I've collected some that were reduced from 15 feet down to an 8" stump and they grew.

If the leaves are new and the tree just came out of "hibernation" that would be a different story, you will kill it if you treat it harshly at that time. Let it recover, get healthy, then you can do whatever you want with it. ;)

Good luck!

Goodstoph

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to bonsai too, but if i were you i would just let it grow for a while. Figure out where its going to grow and go. I have a few bonsai i want to re-pot and trim but decided to wait to allow them to grow. It looks like its too early for it to really take the shape you're looking for. Maybe try to wire it for now starting the shape you want. Then again i am kind of new with bonsai and am figuring my own trees as i go.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple of things I would consider. Having the trunk come straight up at a ninety degree angle is unconventional. Tilt it to the left and this might help with the other thing I would consider which is the almost ninety degree bend in the trunk. My thought is that this needs to visually lessened or removed. Elms do well with a drastic pruning of the trunk. Another thought in this line is to leave the trunk straight up and cut just below the first bend. The tree will then sprout numerous branches at the cut. I've seen some nice broom styles done this way with elms. Good luck and good growing.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
To do well, it really needs to be outside.

Yes and if you wish to make it grow bigger...it need to be in a bigger pot (for the next few years). It really depends on your goal and time you want to invest to reach that goal.

yaxet

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the advice, I realize growing it indoors is not ideal, but unfortunately my living situation doesnt allow it to be outside all that much. Also as to fixing the shape of the trunk, being new to this, I am not sure how much the trunk shape can be corrected with wiring. Would it be possible to reduce that bend by 45 degrees or more?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thinking you won't be able to bend the trunk. That's why it was suggested to chop it down. I would do neither if I were you. Just try to keep it alive. I know you said it's hard for you to keep it outside but it needs to be there none the less. There is a lot to learn but the good thing is elms can take a lot of abuse. They are the best tree to start out in bonsai. In my opinion.

Goodstoph

Seedling
Reaction score
I keep hearing all this "grow outdoors" kind of thing all the time. if you give it what it needs in terms of outdoors, it will grow indoors. It costs money to make it an indoor bonsai out of an outdoor bonsai, but it can be done. Im growing multiple Junipers in doors and they grow like weeds, better then my indoor bonsai. Im not saying outdoor is better, but it is better then indoor. Any plant will do better outside.

Top Bottom