where to buy Chinese elm

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
i have looked at most of the nurseries in the twin cities area, and cant find anyone who carries Chinese elm... any ideas on where to buy these? looking for a regular tree to chop, not those s curve malsai trees

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldn't expect to see a tree that wasn't hardy to your area for sale as a landscape tree. I get that as bonsai you could protect it but I usually see CE listed as zone 5, some cultivars even zone 7. Might have to turn to the internet for that one

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i have looked at most of the nurseries in the twin cities area, and cant find anyone who carries Chinese elm... any ideas on where to buy these? looking for a regular tree to chop, not those s curve malsai trees

Good luck, I hunted for 2 years for a Chinese elm with a decent trunk size that wasn't an "s". I finally found one on ebay for a reasonable price but will need a lot of work including a chop.

Keep an eye on Brussel's Bonsai and see of they put one up you can work with.

I don’t understand why growers insist on continuing to make them into S shaped trees

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Good luck, I hunted for 2 years for a Chinese elm with a decent trunk size that wasn't an "s". I finally found one on ebay for a reasonable price but will need a lot of work including a chop.

Keep an eye on Brussel's Bonsai and see of they put one up you can work with.

I don’t understand why growers insist on continuing to make them into S shaped trees
i guess they think they look older or interesting..... which it doesn't

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I can occasionally find them and collect them in areas near where they are planted in the landscape. If you see any in a shopping center parking lot or apartment complex, look in about a 1/4 mile radius, they spread like weeds and can usually be found in the bushes and wood lines. Also if you find one make sure to get as many roots as you can. They sprout very readily from root cuttings 😉

arreaux

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
They grow like weeds around here. Constantly fighting them in between concrete slab joints. And find them growing in my containers.

Top Bottom