Where to buy chojubai?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Seems like chojubai are very hard to come by. Evergreen Gardenworks has some starter material. Brussels has some sticks-in-pots chojubai for literally $500.

Looking for something in between. Anyone have any insight? Seems like a long shot but if anyone would know, it’s you Nuts!

Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Seems like chojubai are very hard to come by. Evergreen Gardenworks has some starter material. Brussels has some sticks-in-pots chojubai for literally $500.

Looking for something in between. Anyone have any insight? Seems like a long shot but if anyone would know, it’s you Nuts!

Thanks!
And the damned things are so easy to propagate from cuttings...

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Thanks!
Kifu Bonsai in PA , quince and ume

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Thanks!
They are not the fastest of growers. I have about a dozen red mother plants and about five white mother plants with about 40 cuttings each going at the moment. They are finicky....soon they will be dropping all their leaves. From my experience white grows a lot faster than red.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thanks!

You're definitely buying at the wrong time! Everyone wants them, so prices are often ridiculously high. Maybe keep an eye on the various facebook auction sites but I'm often shocked at the prices they sell for.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Thanks!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

This is Chinese Quince, pseudocydonia sinensis. Also in very high demand and low supply, apparently!

I’m looking for chaenomeles japonica ‘chojubai’, dwarf Japanese Quince.

Just to avoid any confusion! :)

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You're definitely buying at the wrong time! Everyone wants them, so prices are often ridiculously high. Maybe keep an eye on the various facebook auction sites but I'm often shocked at the prices they sell for.

It seems to be a seller’s market, indeed :)

I’ll keep an eye out on Facebook nonetheless!

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Michael Hagerdorn sells them. I got some small ones from Julian Adams so you may want to see if he has any larger ones.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
From my experience white grows a lot faster than red.

This is consistent with what Andrew Robson and Michael Hagedorn recently discussed on The Bonsai Wire podcast. Great discussion, if you haven’t listened.

That podcast was actually what pushed me over the edge into inquiring about where to find chojubai after watching enviously from the sidelines!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Michael Hagerdorn sells them. I got some small ones from Julian Adams so you may want to see if he has any larger ones.

Thanks! I’ve purchased wire from Julian so I will reach out. I will look into Hagerdorn as well!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bonsai West in MA has a handful if they haven't sold yet

They may have already been shaped though, I'm not 100% sure

Thanks! Do you know if they ship? I’m looking at their website and they don’t show any trees available, but perhaps I just need to call and chat with someone?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks! Do you know if they ship? I’m looking at their website and they don’t show any trees available, but perhaps I just need to call and chat with someone?

no idea. i’d call. if the person is confused try to get ahold of Michael or Zuma.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For chojubai bonsai starter I would order from Brent, but if you don't mind starting with normal stock I bought 4 Scarffs Red j.quince from https://www.growerssolution.com/quince/flowering-quince.html . They are currently sold out and not shipping plants at this moment because of the heat wave. Don't bother buying the 1 gal size... I bought 1-1 gal and a 3 pack, the smaller ones have developed way quicker than the 1 gal. The 1 gal was just taller. I'll try to post pics today when I get home.

I have been looking at a few bonsai websites and the price they are asking for rooted twigs and ugly starter trees is ridiculous.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Frank Mihalic usually has some with some decent caliper.

Top Bottom