Where to buy copper wire online ?

micahmcgrath

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wire wars!

Seriously folks let’s give the young man reasonable advice!

How could he know what quality wire is if he starts off by annealing scrap wire?

No, he should start off with good wire. Learn how to use and appreciate it. If he then finds he wants to delve into making his own, then he has a standard to guide him.
Adair, I'd be curious to know what your experience with Adam's wire is. I've seen you recommend it before, but I just checked the site and it seems cheaper than most other copper wire. I bought a set of Kiku from superfly last season and I was very pleased, but Adam's wire is a fraction of the price.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good copper allows “tweaking”. The thing is, since it holds better, you don’t have to “overbend” and hope it stays in place after it “relaxes” the way aluminum does.

By the way, I sometimes “tweak” my copper wired branches a year later!

THANK YOU.!

This would definitely lead me to believe that the (small amount) of experience I have, using copper, was MOST LIKELY not good quality...

🤓

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Adair, I'd be curious to know what your experience with Adam's wire is. I've seen you recommend it before, but I just checked the site and it seems cheaper than most other copper wire. I bought a set of Kiku from superfly last season and I was very pleased, but Adam's wire is a fraction of the price.

I only buy from Adams and the wire is top notch. The Kiku wire is probably more expensive because I think it is imported.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Julians’ wire (and the guy who makes it now) is fine. What I like is his “starter set” has some of all sizes. Then, once the buyer gets it and starts using it he’ll determine what sizes he uses the most, and then he can make future purchases to suit his usage. But, everyone needs to have some of all sizes.

I do prefer Jim Gremel’s wire to Julian’s. Gremel’s wire is annealed in a kiln, to precise temperatures and timing. Julian annuals his in an open fire, and he goes by color. Gremel makes larger diameter coils than does Julian.

Gremel has been hard to reach recently, so it’s probably easier to order from Julian.

Some vendors sell by weight, some by the foot. That can make comparing prices a bit tricky.

There are other vendors. Superfly, Mirai, Peter Tea. I know Peter used to use Gremel’s wire, so he knows how quality wire works, and he tells me that the wire he makes is of comparable quality. When I run out of my supply of Gremel wire, I’ll probably start ordering from Peter Tea. (If I cant get any more from Gremel).

micahmcgrath

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Julians’ wire (and the guy who makes it now) is fine. What I like is his “starter set” has some of all sizes. Then, once the buyer gets it and starts using it he’ll determine what sizes he uses the most, and then he can make future purchases to suit his usage. But, everyone needs to have some of all sizes.

I do prefer Jim Gremel’s wire to Julian’s. Gremel’s wire is annealed in a kiln, to precise temperatures and timing. Julian annuals his in an open fire, and he goes by color. Gremel makes larger diameter coils than does Julian.

Gremel has been hard to reach recently, so it’s probably easier to order from Julian.

Some vendors sell by weight, some by the foot. That can make comparing prices a bit tricky.

There are other vendors. Superfly, Mirai, Peter Tea. I know Peter used to use Gremel’s wire, so he knows how quality wire works, and he tells me that the wire he makes is of comparable quality. When I run out of my supply of Gremel wire, I’ll probably start ordering from Peter Tea. (If I cant get any more from Gremel).
Thanks for the rundown! Superfly's Kiku was good to me, but expensive. It was close to $200 for one of almost every size. Still have a good amount left, but I was thinking about ordering the starter set and comparing the quality. I've looked into mirais too, but it seems like there's a slight premium for the name. I'm fairly comfortable with copper already so I don't waste much, but it'd be nice to have a cheap source so I don't feel the money going on the tree as it's applied ;)

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The difference in Gremel's & Adams' wire is minimal for gauges 12+. I can tell a slight difference in their 10s and 8s. That said, Adams' is perfectly usable.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I ordered two of their starter sets and my son has been doing a lot of wiring with it and really likes it. We have not used other copper wire before (only aluminium so far) so cannot compare to others though.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Clearly, 13 year olds must really be advanced nowadays to have the wherewithal to buy and anneal their own copper wire. I'd have a hard time doing that safely when I was 13 but then again the world is different now.....

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I get my Aluminum wire rolls from www.Easter leaf.com The prices can’t be beat and it’s a very high quality black anodized wire.
I’ve not used their aluminum, but my experience with black anodized wire is the black finish wears off after several months outside in the sun, and the wire eventually turns silver.

I hope your experience is better.

Copper ages and turns a dull brown. And since it’s thinner, it really blends in with the bark, making it almost impossible to see, unless you go looking for it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I ordered two of their starter sets and my son has been doing a lot of wiring with it and really likes it. We have not used other copper wire before (only aluminium so far) so cannot compare to others though.
Yes, once you get the starter set, you’ll find you use more of certain sizes than others. For example, I use a lot of 14 and 16. I rarely use anything heavier than 8. (But I have some 4 and 6 as well as 20 and 22 just in case!). The really thin wire comes in handy for guy wires.

Top Bottom