Where to buy Ginkgo?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm interested in starting a Ginkgo bonsai. What size and where should I buy one?

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm also 9a, albeit a hotter, drier version than Louisiana. Ginkgo does well in the central valley. My own are babies, but are thriving.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not sure where you got that idea that they will have issue in your zone. I have many 2 year old cuttings. If you ever come to houston, I can definitely give you a couple.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Not sure where you got that idea that they will have issue in your zone. I have many 2 year old cuttings. If you ever come to houston, I can definitely give you a couple.
Hmmm.. most people I talked to and even the nurseries that sell them say they grow in 4-8. If you can grow it in Houston, it surely can grow in my area then. I'm only about 3 hr East of you. Next time I am in Houston, I hope to hook up with you then. Thank you.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is the photo of the cuttings in the community pot. At least 10 in there.IMG_20190426_064134.jpg

Here are the mother plants. I have bought 2 online a few years ago. The tall one is actually a cutting from the first batch. They are quite easy to root in late winter.
IMG_20190426_064354.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How easily do these root from cutting and when is best time to do a cutting?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I received a 2 ft tall 5/8" diameter at the base bare root Ginkgo for $20 from Amazon. I like it. It will be in a grow box for quite a few years for sure.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I received a 2 ft tall 5/8" diameter at the base bare root Ginkgo for $20 from Amazon. I like it. It will be in a grow box for quite a few years for sure.
The ginkgo now sports new 6" long branches. The trunk is too long for me. Can I start an air layer for the top next month?
20190602_123149.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Quite honestly, they are cheap enough, why screw around with air layering? The process will slow down development of the original, when you could just root cuttings, or buy another for $20 or less for seedlings.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Quite honestly, they are cheap enough, why screw around with air layering? The process will slow down development of the original, when you could just root cuttings, or buy another for $20 or less for seedlings.
You are right. I'm just having fun with propagation. I'll wait till next spring to cut 2ft off and make three 8" cuttings.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Leo, I could not agree more.

Ginkgo take a long time to thicken. I know because I planted mine around 16+ years ago (at least) in the ground and I'm still not happy with the base. If I had known back then they would regenerate after a hard chop I would not have messed about trying to keep it compact and chopping bits off. Mine is about 8ft high now and it's starting to get up a good head of steam.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Leo, I could not agree more.

Ginkgo take a long time to thicken. I know because I planted mine around 16+ years ago (at least) in the ground and I'm still not happy with the base. If I had known back then they would regenerate after a hard chop I would not have messed about trying to keep it compact and chopping bits off. Mine is about 8ft high now and it's starting to get up a good head of steam.
Thanks guys. I'm going to simply put this tree in the ground for it to grow.

Top Bottom